Eyes shut again!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Hi, I have a new run do will get him outside, he wasn’t eating again this morning then I grated some carrot over his weeds and he ate a tiny bit!

Hes now sleeping again though is only waking up when I bath him.

I couldn’t find the old standard light bulbs but got a 65w flood pet one and the heater is due to be delivered today

When I bath him he doesn’t seem to be drinking though but his eyes did open a little again in the bath today.

Do I keep waking him up to attempt him to eat or leave him be
If he sleeps let him sleep. He is small so will rest lots. If he is soaked, fed and resting let him be. If you can get him out that is beneficial and he will absolutely be alert for that and wander around. They only eat when warm as that stimulates appetite. You can place him under heat lamp to warm up but be careful with head away from light. He may twist away so let him get comfy.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Twigs opened his eyes a little outside, do they look infected or anything? Thought maybe open eye photos might help

Attachments

• 0B7EC84A-3DCC-4B8D-8F2D-073009EECC37.png
    0B7EC84A-3DCC-4B8D-8F2D-073009EECC37.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • F36EA5D0-AE38-43BE-8903-BDA7A9A2E60A.jpeg
    F36EA5D0-AE38-43BE-8903-BDA7A9A2E60A.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 3

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Ok so as he was opening his eyes outside I thought I would get some eye gel into them. I am unsure if its a infection or simply his third eyelid?

Attachments

• 635D1B8E-3C2B-4314-A2DB-8B012067845A.jpeg
    635D1B8E-3C2B-4314-A2DB-8B012067845A.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 3
  • BF46BBDF-5F83-4BDE-98BE-631D75B00DDC.jpeg
    BF46BBDF-5F83-4BDE-98BE-631D75B00DDC.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 4

Meganf

Tampa, Florida
Any chance this is herpesvirus? I am a brand new tortoise owner, so certainly not an expert of this group, but my hatchling redfoot got herpesvirus. He closed his eyes and stopped eating and was less active too.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Is that a string of something in his mouth???
Yes he gad been holding a the grated carrot he managed to get in his mouth.

I trued all sorts if food today and all ge managed was a few bites of grated carrot.

I have now finely sliced some dandilion leaves to see if it helps

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Open eyes I progress. I would let him sleep now and then get him out again tomorrow for a short time. If he is warm his appetite will return.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Just set up my ceramic heater for tonight and realised the one I have the min temperature is 29c
Is this too hot for a night temp or ok while he is sick and get another soon

Meganf

Tampa, Florida
I had no idea they could get this, how did you treat and is he ok?
Hopefully yours is just husbandry issues and that he will be better now that you have implemented changes. When I took mine to the vet, my vet (a reptile vet with experience in tortoises) immediately suspected herpesvirus and the lab results ended up showing it too. I don’t think there’s a cure for it. Unfortunately, my little guy passed away on Monday.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
Oh no am so sorry to hear that, I went to a exotic vet well the only time one in my area, he commented on his size and said she here has been a surge in too small sick tortoises recently.

His mouth looks clear tongue pink so hopefully its just his environment.

very sorry for your loss

Meganf

Tampa, Florida
Oh no am so sorry to hear that, I went to a exotic vet well the only time one in my area, he commented on his size and said she here has been a surge in too small sick tortoises recently.

His mouth looks clear tongue pink so hopefully its just his environment.

very sorry for your loss
I really hope so too!
And thank you. I appreciate it.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hopefully yours is just husbandry issues and that he will be better now that you have implemented changes. When I took mine to the vet, my vet (a reptile vet with experience in tortoises) immediately suspected herpesvirus and the lab results ended up showing it too. I don’t think there’s a cure for it. Unfortunately, my little guy passed away on Monday.
Sorry for your loss. They are tough but sometimes it does not work out. Maybe you can start over again with a hatchling or look at rescues as your in a beautiful part of the world I am sure a tortoise thrives.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
I was just looking back to a photo from day I got him home after buying him.
His third eyelid was visable then too.
Does he look well when I had him?

Attachments

• 32EEAE98-8E78-4C72-938B-C94DEE07CE01.png
    32EEAE98-8E78-4C72-938B-C94DEE07CE01.png
    584.3 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi sorry for all the questions @Tom suggested 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store.

I am struggling am in the UK? Are the 8W leds the same please
Arcadia makes incandescent floods available in the UK.

LEDs are good for light, but they are useless for basking because they produce very little heat heat.

Ardelle

Ilkeston
@Tom I believe I am using my pet shops equivalent to this then however have swapped from a 100W to 60 and the temp seems to be more ideal.

I will order a new thermostat today so I can keep the night time temperature regulated

Ardelle

Ilkeston
😀 I am absolutely over the moon!
I kept the CH on last night and this morning after his bath twiglet opened his eyes and he ate!!

I did find he wouldn’t start eating until I grated some carrot over his food, is this a problem as understand they are not meant to have regularly

Thanks so much to everyone on here this forum is really worth its weight in gold!