Eyes still closed

DeeG

Location (City and/or State)
LIVERPOOL
My boys eyes are still closed I have changed the substrate as I was using sand provided by the pet shop :( all his temps are ok and spraying g table every morning, half an hour bath in the morning and atleast 30 min carrot bath in the evening last night an hour. On day 5 of the carrot baths and no joy ? will attach photos from this morning what else can I do please??? He has not eaten now for atleast 10days! :( he is around 7 months old

Attachments

• 20211222_183847.jpg
    20211222_183847.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20211222_183935.jpg
    20211222_183935.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

DeeG

LIVERPOOL
I have been my vet Tuesday they said nothing they can do except drip feed him if he hasn't eaten after 3 to 4 weeks. They won't give him vitamin a injection as his age and they carnt get correct dosage :(
I think it would be best to check with a veterinarian.

My5Sulcata

moving
I have been my vet Tuesday they said nothing they can do except drip feed him if he hasn't eaten after 3 to 4 weeks. They won't give him vitamin a injection as his age and they carnt get correct dosage :(
Could you check with another veterinarian? Maybe a turtle rescue center could give you information that would be of help.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
What kind of light are you using?
Stop with the regular warm water soaks and just soak in carrots daily. Show your light please

DeeG

LIVERPOOL
What kind of light are you using?

Stop with the regular warm water soaks and just soak in carrots daily. Show your light please
Sorry that's the only pik I have of it

Attachments

• 20211221_080503.jpg
    20211221_080503.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20211221_080503.jpg
    20211221_080503.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
The actual question being asked is if it is it a compact fluorescent UV coil light?

Their design makes them capable of sun burning eyeballs.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is it below
I'm kind of at a loss...the habitat sucks but you're changing the substrate right? And adding plants and other stuff right? It may be too much light for him... we recommend a different bulb now...Zenherper will tell you...a t.05 or something...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is it below
That's a MVB type lamp.
They're harsh. They dry everything out. Including the tortoise. The light is very, very bright and I suppose it could be an eye irritant if it is too close to the tortoise.
Is that the only light?
Is that also the UVB source?
I'd use a CHE for heat. They're warm with no light. And I'd use a T5 HO UVB linear strip florescent tube lamp for both UVB and lighting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is it below
The sand is a major issue and he may be impacted. An Xray can confirm or deny this. If the GI tract is blocked, he will soon die.

The light you are using usually doesn't cause a problem at the distance you have it mounted, but only a UV meter can verify this. Some of these bulbs put out eye burning levels of UV, while others produce no UV, or prematurely stop producing UV. Only a meter can tell you what is happening in your enclosure under your bulb.

Next possibility is temperatures. If that bulb is your only heat and light source, then your enclosure is likely too dark and too cold. People in the UK tend to keep their homes much cooler than people here in the US, and tortoises need warmth. For a little baby like yours, I like to keep night temps around 22C. Daytime ambient should be around 24-27C, and the basking temperature directly under the bulb should be around 36C. It is impossible to maintain these temperatures in an open topped enclosure with one bulb in a cold room. Consistently cold temps will eventually make them sick and present the symptoms you are seeing.

Here is the care info for your species. Fix the problems, and often they will recover:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If after day three of carrot water soaks the eyes aren't open you haven't corrected the husbandry issues. Please re-read the care sheet for babies and make the changes accordingly. Husbandry affects your baby's health.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I would get these drops and put a few drops on his eyes. See if this helps.

Attachments

• F1007481-D804-46DE-983A-5D474E38CCDB.png
    F1007481-D804-46DE-983A-5D474E38CCDB.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 4