Fake plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
I want some fake plants to put in Pop Corn's enclosure. Where do you guys buy yours? They sell some in pet stores (for acquarium) but I do not like them and they all sell the same kind of fake plants. I bought some plants at the plant store, I washed the roots but I want to wait at least 4 - 5 months before puting it in the enclosure.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Micheal's, or any other craft store, Walmart, or a dollar store :D Just make sure they aren't "nibbled" lol.

firework

5 Year Member
Don't put fake plants in the enclosure. 1st, it's a safety harzard. 2nd, your tort gets less room to roam. 3rd, if it's under the lamp, it can be a fire harzard too.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
I just bought some from AC Moore - set them up in the little pots and dug them in. I did stick the plants in the foam block stuff first and that is what's holding them in the pots. It's been about 4 days and I have had to put them back together and re-right them over a dozen times lol. BUT neither of the tortoises hae attempted to try the foam block or the plants themselves. :) I'm sure it helps that they smell like fake plants so they're not appealing...at least to my guys.

Saranna

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
There is nothing wrong with using fake plants in the enclosure. Tortoises need cover and security as much as they need room to roam. They are not a hazard unless they are being chewed on. I have used fake plants for 15 years.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the suggestions :)
I am going to a wedding in CT this weekend, and there is a Michael's store there, I am sure it will look super nice in the enclosure :D
Thanks for the advice Firework, but do not worry, I will be very careful :).

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Don't buy any from Petco, PetSmart, etc, because they are way overpriced.

I would go to a craft store and buy cheap plastic/silk plants/vines then super glue them to a rock to anchor them. It's something I've done and turned out pretty good.

I would grow real, safe plants, if I could, but they all die...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Jordan, the fake plants are super expensive at the pet store near my place, and they only have 2 or 3 kinds in store. Hermy has real plants in his enclosure, Spider plants and wondering jews, they are in a tupperware, instead of soil, I put water and rocks in the tupperware and it works really good, the plants are in the enclosure since about a year and they still look nice :D Thanks for the glue and rocks idea :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Trevor loves his plants from Michael's craft store. I bought extra so I can rotate through different arrangements of cage furnishings. If your tort takes more than a test nibble or you place it too close to a heat source, of course you are waiting for trouble, but overall they are a great thing for torts and I think they save tons of floor space over traditional container/box.log hides. My tort will only use his fake plants and his hay pile, not container/box/log hides.

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
Isa, I really like your idea of the spider plant, they should be perfect for my torts, Thanks

-JM

5 Year Member
Hobby Lobby has a lot of cool, high quality false plants. We use them in wreath and floral arrangements around my house, and at the zoo we had tons of false plants in the exhibits. I put several of them together myself. As has been said, you have to be careful where you put them and make sure your baby doesn't think it's a snack.

They add security and comfort as hides and can be aesthetically pleasing as part of the enclosure as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.