Fake Plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amherstburg, Ontario
Hello I have a question is it ok to add fake plant to your set-up i have a sulcata and was thinking of doing so. Or what kind of real plants would be ideal for me to add for him.

Thanks

karleyreed

5 Year Member
I have fake plants in mind and my tort loves them. He sleeps under them sometimes, suppose it gives him more sense of security

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I put in fake philodendron vines, fake rubber tree, and real plants. In my signature you can see a link to my enclosure and there are pics of my plants and at the bottom of my first post I listed all my plant types. But, remember that my tort is a redfoot so more tropical plants are acceptable. You can buy things like succulents (Fake or real) as well as things like spider plants and aloe.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I also use fake plants and real ones. My tortoise can clearly tell the difference between the 2. He has never tried to eat the fake. He has smelled them, then moved onto the real ones for food. He loves hiding under the fake ones

And different succulents are a great choice for indoors

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Some torts will try to eat fake plants, but I had a few in for Carl until I got him some real ones and he never did. When he first saw them he sniffed them, didn't think they smelled too appetizing, and moved on

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
every tortoise is different. my leopard likes to sleep under them as well.

I've said this before, but make sure the fake plants are plastic, not silk. the color will bleed out of the silk if you get it wet.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Real plants are always better and if your tort tries to eat fake plants it could get sick.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have fake plants from a Craft store. My tort ignores them, but does like peering out from under them.
Real plants are nice and probably best, but do get trashed.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
O.k real plants it is for me :) Now the question is what would be good plants for the Sulcata that i could grow myself that can handle the heat and humidity in his enclosure? And where can I get the seeds to grow the plants?

Thanks

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
If you have any friends that have spider plants try getting babies from them. Not all plants propagate best from seeds.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
i have always had good results with transplanting from an outside pen into the indoor enclosure. i grow things from seeds outside, then when it is the size i like i just replant it into his tank. i just replanted some iceplants last week and they are thriving and continuing to grow inside.

plant some succulents, those also work great inside.

i have never been successful at getting spider plants to take root and grow in his tank. :/ but they are supposed to be easiest.

i also grow grass and clover outside then plant a patch of it inside. it'll get eaten quickly but if you grow it in large quantities outside you have a never ending supply to replenish.

Status
Not open for further replies.