Fake Plants?

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I have been using real plants in my tortoise enclosures for months now. My ornate, Mildred, tears them up and kills them almost immediatly. My Redfoot seems to not care one way or another. I have noticed I am being plagued by gnats and other little bugs...is it bad to switch to fake plants? I am thinking the upkeep would be MUCH easier but wanted to ask before redoing all my cages. :D

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I have real plants ( prayer plant, spider plant, boston fern) and fake plants with my redfoot. He's never been interested in eating any of them and seems to appreciate the cover.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
none of my 4 torts have tried to eat fake plants but many tortoises do. they usually try at first sight so just watch your tort for a bit when you put the plants in. i imagine after one bite they would stop so look for a chunk missing, lol

tjarksd

5 Year Member
Clive, Iowa
Great info. I'm a newbie keeper and was just wondering about this myself. :) Thanks!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I'm tempted to switch to fake for now...I have a live pansy plant right now, which hes nibbled occasionally (like 2-3 times that I've seen...honestly he's shown more interest in the sphagnum moss), but I don't think it's gonna last much longer. It's really hard to find organically grown plants around here, and ordering thousands and thousands of seeds seems so impractical to me. :/

Once I build his permanent indoor enclosure, I plan on doing two levels, with the top level being carpeted with a broadleaf mix. We'll see. :)

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
I was just thinking about this today. I'm gathering things for an emergency indoor habitat. Since it will be in storage most of the time fake plants would be ideal but I wasn't sure if they were safe or not. I think I will try this. :)

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
I use fake plants in Obi's enclosure (he never tries to eat it). I don't put it right next to the wall so he likes to squeeze in between the plant and the wall to take a nap.

Attachments

• Obi6.JPG
    Obi6.JPG
    556.4 KB · Views: 118

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Obi, I do the same thing. Mine are out from the wall far enough (further out than yours shown) so the tortoises can get back in there and feel like they are hiding in plants. They enjoy it.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
ascott said:
Silk plants here in the Redfoot indoor enclosures :D

Good Morning AScott :D Do you buy your silk plants at a pet store, or do you go to someplace like Michaels or Hobby Lobby? Obviously going that route is MUCH cheaper-just didnt know if it was safe?

Maverick

5 Year Member
I would try your local Dollar store or 5 below. Way cheaper than a hobby place.