Falling in love with a Forum Member?

Is it possible to fall in love with a forum member?

• Yes

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gran Pulse
Is it possible to fall in love with a forum member on any forum?

If you feel it IS possible please explain why you feel this way, has it happened to you?

If you feel it is NOT possible please explain why you feel this way.

Sincerely,
Vishnu2

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yah, I am not gonna touch this one, sorry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I guess it is possible. However, if you are only talking on the forum, then you really are falling in love with what you are perceiving that person to be. I think it would be more of a crush, then actual love. If the two take it further, and call, or visit each other, something good might come out of it or you might find out they aren't who you thought they were. No, I have not, I am married and even if I wasn't married, I would have a hard time with it as I don't trust people to be honest enough over the Internet. In fact this is the only forum I am on and I am shocked that I even participate on this one. I am not comfortable with the Internet and I also won't have my photo on the net.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes, it is possible and I have saw it happen many times. The thing is, with rare exceptions, the people on the forum (or online) only show one side to you. Actually much like somebody who is first dating in real life. :D With online tho, you can do a much better job of being the person you WANT to be rather then the person you really are. That along with the fact, nobody reading this knows I am picking my nose, as I read these posts. How was that for an example of what you will never know about somebody online? :p One one forum, we had a guy who was a dream come true for so many of the females, I swear a dozen of them had crushes on him. Even many guys liked him. Then one day, one of the members visited where he "worked" in real life. They had never heard of him at that job. Curious enough, that was the last time the guy ever posted. :(

Developing a relationship on here, is like on any online dating service pretty much. If you and the other person really start to click, then take it from online to real life phone calls. Then to public meetings. Take it slow, keep protected, and if you are currently in a real life relationship be sure to not toss it into the trash for something that seems to real to be true, because it usually is.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
True, unconditional love as the foundation for a healthy relationship? No, I do not think its possible to develop this only from an online forum. Like others said, you are only developing a "crush" on a skewed perception of that person that they have allowed you to see of themselves.

If you want to real, true love, do what Jacqui said: get off the computer and get out in real life. I wouldn't go as far as to desperately hunt for it, but it certainly won't find you while you're sitting behind a computer screen.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Anything is possible. I have made several friends here on this forum that are now part of my daily life. I don't think I'd go as far a saying you could "fall in love", but I certainly think its possible to meet someone who you could then fall in love with down the road...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I fell in love with Tyler Stewart. Now...if I could just get his wife out of the picture....:)

Really though, of course anything is possible. I'm no relational expert, but I think there should be a lot of caution with developing on-line relationships. The person on the other end that you are talking to could make themselves out to be anyone or anything. I would imagine it would take a lot more time to establish a real relationship with someone over the internet than it would if they saw each other in person frequently.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know of two different couples who met on this forum and "fell in love." One of the couples is still together after 5 or 6 years, even though one party lives in the UK and the other lives in the U.S. But, they became interested in each other on the forum, then met in person to continue the relationship and help it grow. They have marriage plans.

The other couple didn't last after they met in person and really got to know each other.

So, yes, I think it is possible.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Jacqui said:
Yes, it is possible and I have saw it happen many times. The thing is, with rare exceptions, the people on the forum (or online) only show one side to you. Actually much like somebody who is first dating in real life. :D With online tho, you can do a much better job of being the person you WANT to be rather then the person you really are. That along with the fact, nobody reading this knows I am picking my nose, as I read these posts. How was that for an example of what you will never know about somebody online? :p One one forum, we had a guy who was a dream come true for so many of the females, I swear a dozen of them had crushes on him. Even many guys liked him. Then one day, one of the members visited where he "worked" in real life. They had never heard of him at that job. Curious enough, that was the last time the guy ever posted. :(

Developing a relationship on here, is like on any online dating service pretty much. If you and the other person really start to click, then take it from online to real life phone calls. Then to public meetings. Take it slow, keep protected, and if you are currently in a real life relationship be sure to not toss it into the trash for something that seems to real to be true, because it usually is.

Picking your nose eh? I usually bite my nails during my grazing of the tortoise forum. It's that intense. :D

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Neal said:
I fell in love with Tyler Stewart. Now...if I could just get his wife out of the picture....:)

Really though, of course anything is possible. I'm no relational expert, but I think there should be a lot of caution with developing on-line relationships. The person on the other end that you are talking to could make themselves out to be anyone or anything. I would imagine it would take a lot more time to establish a real relationship with someone over the internet than it would if they saw each other in person frequently.

LOL! Tyler is cute!

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I think love starts with a strong common interest. That could be tortoises, who am I to say? I think anything is possible I suppose. ;)
I definitely have seen crazier things happen in my old age. I think love is a wonderful thing and I think that I lot of people desperately seek it out in many places and everyone should be very careful in doing so. Meeting someone face 2 face is hard enough, doing it over the internet makes it a tad bit challenging. That being said, no, I don't have a crush on anyone as I was asked above. ;) Now that I answered that question, I have to go and pluck my chin hairs. :)

CLMoss said:
Neal said:

LOL! Tyler is cute!

Don't know who Tyler is~ :p

emysemys said:
I know of two different couples who met on this forum and "fell in love." One of the couples is still together after 5 or 6 years, even though one party lives in the UK and the other lives in the U.S. But, they became interested in each other on the forum, then met in person to continue the relationship and help it grow. They have marriage plans.

The other couple didn't last after they met in person and really got to know each other.

So, yes, I think it is possible.

See anything is possible. Congrats to the couple who have made it work. I think that is beautiful.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
CLMoss said:
Tyler is really cute! And has a Beautiful wife I must add.
I don't think I know who that is. Will have to be on the look out. Did he and his wife meet on here? Lol, j/k.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I met my husband online, not in here however. ;) I must say all joking aside, there are some guys in here, who I could easily become interested in (if things like age, marital status, ect.., were not issues). We have some of the sweetest, most generous, intelligent, humorous and charming folks in here... then if you go and see how beautiful some of them also are on the outside... be still my heart. Same go for our women. Not to mention the ones that if I were not a shy awkward person, I would like to get to know as friends. :cool:

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Jacqui said:
I met my husband online, not in here however. ;) I must say all joking aside, there are some guys in here, who I could easily become interested in (if things like age, marital status, ect.., were not issues). We have some of the sweetest, most generous, intelligent, humorous and charming folks in here... then if you go and see how beautiful some of them also are on the outside... be still my heart. Same go for our women. Not to mention the ones that if I were not a shy awkward person, I would like to get to know as friends. :cool:

So sweet! But why are you shy? Why do you believe that you are awkward? I think that you are very interesting. I say, "Go make some of those ladies your friends!" You have to break the ice, because they may feel shy as well.

Vishnu2 said:
CLMoss said:
Tyler is really cute! And has a Beautiful wife I must add.
I don't think I know who that is. Will have to be on the look out. Did he and his wife meet on here? Lol, j/k.

I don't know if he met her on this forum... But he is eye candy. LOL if he reads this thread.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:

I just can't imagine you shy. But then, I feel I am shy. But on this forum, it is easy to participate and I don't feel shy. The only thing I hate about this forum is that we are all so spread out. Would be great to meet all the people in person. Especially Tyler;). Actually, I don't know what he looks like. Must search thread:p:D
Tyler, are you out there or has everyone embarrassed you:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.