Family looking to adopt

anollan

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach, CA
Hello!

My name is Allison and I live in Long Beach with my husband and 2 daughters, ages 6 & 13. We are looking to adopt a turtle. We have an extremely large backyard with tons of grass. My husband is an ocean lifeguard and I am a high school teacher.

Take care,

Al

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify...you said you were interested in a turtle...are you meaning a water turtle of some kind, or a tortoise of some kind? I'm thinking a tortoise with the big backyard and grass.

Have you decided exactly what you want? If not, I would suggest that you read over the care sheets we have for each species of tortoise. Try to compare what they require with your ability to provide for it. The species can be found here:

Then come back and ask questions, and we'll try to help you decide what would work best for you.

In the meantime, if by "adopt" you mean "no hatchling bought from a breeder", check Craigslist and your local shelters. You never know what you might find.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify...you said you were interested in a turtle...are you meaning a water turtle of some kind, or a tortoise of some kind? I'm thinking a tortoise with the big backyard and grass.

Have you decided exactly what you want? If not, I would suggest that you read over the care sheets we have for each species of tortoise. Try to compare what they require with your ability to provide for it. The species can be found here:

Then come back and ask questions, and we'll try to help you decide what would work best for you.

In the meantime, if by "adopt" you mean "no hatchling bought from a breeder", check Craigslist and your local shelters. You never know what you might find.
Subtle, very subtle...Glad you could help this person with your great advice...personally in SoCal with lots of grass I recommend a Sulcata...maybe a Leo...:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
Read up on several tortoises and determine what would best suit you.
This will be an animal that will be with your children into their old age.
Once you've decided, we have many breeders here and contacts to others.