Family seeking first tortoise!

Heath87

Hello Everyone,

I have never had a tortoise or even held one. My wife and I are psyched about getting a tortoise. Please help me pick the perfect tortoise for our home. We live in Sarasota and the tortoise can be outside on our our screened patio. I'm planning to build an elevated tortoise table or enclosure. I can definitely bring him/her inside if it gets too cool. We would like to get a few and try breeding them one day. I think a small species would be best. What do you recommend for my climate and setup? I have been reading about tortoises for years and know the basic care.

Also, once I pick a species how do I locate a great breeder? There are tons of people selling torts on the web. I'd like to get one from a local breeder if possible.

Thanks, Heath

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! How much room are you thinking of using for them?

Heath87

I was thinking about 4x8. This would be small to move if necessary. I could make separate enclosures or one big one(about 150 sq ft). Should I keep them in a group or separate; I hear the males can stress females with too many breeding attempts.

yillt

Hello Everyone,

I have never had a tortoise or even held one. My wife and I are psyched about getting a tortoise. Please help me pick the perfect tortoise for our home. We live in Sarasota and the tortoise can be outside on our our screened patio. I'm planning to build an elevated tortoise table or enclosure. I can definitely bring him/her inside if it gets too cool. We would like to get a few and try breeding them one day. I think a small species would be best. What do you recommend for my climate and setup? I have been reading about tortoises for years and know the basic care.

Also, once I pick a species how do I locate a great breeder? There are tons of people selling torts on the web. I'd like to get one from a local breeder if possible.

Thanks, Heath
Hello. It's great you've come here before your first tortoise. Most come when they've already had one for a few years and there are many mistakes. Luckily you're here early. You should be very excited as they are an amazing animal. I'm not sure if you want to start breeding if you ever never held a tortoise but if your sure then there are plenty of threads to help you. What species is of interest to you? Oh and WELCOME :)

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forum. You are off to the right start. There is so many knowledgeable keepers here with the best information.

Heath87

Good point...I should have clarified that the breeding thing is merely a distant possibly. The reason I mentioned that now is because I'd like a species that is relatively easy to breed just in case we take the plunge. Also, are there species that are currently over produced? Sometimes when a species is over produced (beta fish) they are perceived as disposable. I know someone that breed leopard geckos and could barely find homes for them.

Thanks for the welcome!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Heath, and welcome to the Forum!

First of all, living in Florida where the climate is ideal for having a tortoise living outside, I wouldn't think of the screened patio as an ideal tortoise location. Tortoises wander and graze, wander and browse, wander and snooze under a bush, then wander and graze. With such nice weather wouldn't it be possible to let the tortoise out into the yard?

A good starter turtle/tortoise would be either a box turtle or a russian tortoise. Both those species are pretty forgiving of new keeper mistakes. The Russian, even though he is a small species, needs a fairly large area to roam in order to keep him mentally happy. The box turtle lives in a fairly humid, over-planted area with a big wading pool.

Tell us a little bit about your property and why you chose the patio over the yard, and then maybe we'll better understand what to tell you.

Heath87

I've been watching a web show called Kamp Kenan and he's got lots of information. The problem is that he makes every species sound great. Indian Star, Hermann's, Greek, Cherryhear, etc.

Heath87

First of all, living in Florida where the climate is ideal for having a tortoise living outside, I wouldn't think of the screened patio as an ideal tortoise location. Tortoises wander and graze, wander and browse, wander and snooze under a bush, then wander and graze. With such nice weather wouldn't it be possible to let the tortoise out into the yard?

A good starter turtle/tortoise would be either a box turtle or a russian tortoise. Both those species are pretty forgiving of new keeper mistakes. The Russian, even though he is a small species, needs a fairly large area to roam in order to keep him mentally happy. The box turtle lives in a fairly humid, over-planted area with a big wading pool.

Tell us a little bit about your property and why you chose the patio over the yard, and then maybe we'll better understand what to tell you.
I don't have a yard just a large screened patio(lanai)...I'm planning on constructing wood enclosures like an out door tortoise table. I'm going to use a plan that was intended for a elevated garden bed. Also, when it gets cold I'l have another indoor setup (tub) to keep our guy from getting a cold. Box turtles are nice but I want something more tortoisey.

Heath87

I'll put Russian Tortoise on the list of possibilities...thanks.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Yes I have 3 Sulcatas and 1 Aldabra. These tortoise get very big and take a lot of room. I have been raising tortoises for about 15 years. And once I found this forum it has made being a keeper so much better and for the first time I feel I can get all the right information I need.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think the videos you have been watching were mentioned here on another thread a few days ago. I may be wrong but I got the impression that they aren't regarded as the best source of up to date information. This forum has many keepers with years of experience who are willing to share their tried and tested methods with us. So have a look at the caresheets under Species Specific so you can see which tort best suits your circumstances, then ask as many questions as you need. The Enclosures thread has lots of great ideas too.

Heath87

Yes I have 3 Sulcatas and 1 Aldabra. These tortoise get very big and take a lot of room. I have been raising tortoises for about 15 years. And once I found this forum it has made being a keeper so much better and for the first time I feel I can get all the right information I need.
I love those big species...if I ever move to a home with a big yard I would like to get one. Do you think they are happier living in a group like yours.
I think the videos you have been watching were mentioned here on another thread a few days ago. I may be wrong but I got the impression that they aren't regarded as the best source of up to date information. This forum has many keepers with years of experience who are willing to share their tried and tested methods with us. So have a look at the caresheets under Species Specific so you can see which tort best suits your circumstances, then ask as many questions as you need. The Enclosures thread has lots of great ideas too.
I can tell this forum has excellent information and highly experienced keepers. Which small species do YOU think are well suited for living outdoor in South West Florida?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I can tell this forum has excellent information and highly experienced keepers. Which small species do YOU think are well suited for living outdoor in South West Florida?

I live in the UK with little experience of your climate so I've no idea - but there are plenty of Florida keepers here. Good luck with your search!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't want to try to discourage you, but you should breed species that you have a big interesting and not just sort of devil-may-care take attitude toward it. Russians are always a popular species so are Greeks and Hermanni. all stay small don't. usually do well in groups though and require lots of room to roam

AnimalLady

Hello and welcome! I'm in Miami, so kinda neighbors ;)

I recommend a Russian tort, as mentioned above they are pretty forgiving of new owner mistakes. They are also pretty small. I have a Russian and he is housed outdoors 24/7, hasnt been too cold of a night here to bring him in yet. This would also be a great species to breed. These guys are picked from the wild and shipped here by the loads. If we can get a good local supply it would eventually help stop the plucking of these guys from the wild.

I purchased mine from Petco, maybe not the ideal place, as I didnt get it from a breeder, but hey, i'm happy with my guy. Good luck to you and yours!

Heath87

Hello and welcome! I'm in Miami, so kinda neighbors ;)

I recommend a Russian tort, as mentioned above they are pretty forgiving of new owner mistakes. They are also pretty small. I have a Russian and he is housed outdoors 24/7, hasnt been too cold of a night here to bring him in yet. This would also be a great species to breed. These guys are picked from the wild and shipped here by the loads. If we can get a good local supply it would eventually help stop the plucking of these guys from the wild.

I purchased mine from Petco, maybe not the ideal place, as I didnt get it from a breeder, but hey, i'm happy with my guy. Good luck to you and yours!
You made a great point about breeding to relieve pressure on wild populations. I have seen those Russians at Petco...several folks have suggested this species. I've seen some pics of CB babies and their adorable.

Heath87

I don't want to try to discourage you, but you should breed species that you have a big interesting and not just sort of devil-may-care take attitude toward it. Russians are always a popular species so are Greeks and Hermanni. all stay small don't. usually do well in groups though and require lots of room to roam
Thanks,
Maybe I should rephrase my original question:

Are there any small species I should avoid...considering I live in a humid condition?