Father and Daughter's first Tortoise

TortoiseMay

Location (City and/or State)
vienna, va
Hi All,

So I agreed to get my 7 year old a turtle. After doing way too much research (I'm an engineer) I convinced my daughter a tortoise/Box turtle might be the best bet. My wife really dislikes pets and I think with a little bit of help and a really good set up my daughter can grow into the responsibility. I also always go overkill with pets because unless i really feel like i can give it a great life, I'd prefer the animals to be in the wild. My daughter is a super animal lover and we spend a lot of time in nature together.

We dont have the pet yet, we are taking our time to make sure we really have a good setup that will reliably provide a good climate for the turtle.

I have an unused 6ft x 8ft greenhouse that I plan to use with automated temp sensors for heating/cooling. I like the idea of a greenhouse to keep it safe at night and will probably have a smaller night box in the enclosure as well.

We live in Virginia.

Just saying hi but we will be looking for some advice. I guess our first question would be suggestions for species. In my mind I probably want something that is the easiest for care as this is our first tortoise. I think something like an eastern box turtle would be ideal. What is the best way to go about finding a responsible breeder?

Thanks,
matthew

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. What a great way to get a child started, taking interest too.
Be sure to stick to the forum for your research. We have the most accurate and up to date info.
Lots of Box turtle owners here.
The easiest would probably be any that are native to your state. Not taking them from the wild though and making sure your laws allow you to own any that is native. Then when you figure that out someone might be able to point you to a good breeder.

TortoiseMay

vienna, va
Hello and Welcome. What a great way to get a child started, taking interest too.
Be sure to stick to the forum for your research. We have the most accurate and up to date info.
Lots of Box turtle owners here.
The easiest would probably be any that are native to your state. Not taking them from the wild though and making sure your laws allow you to own any that is native. Then when you figure that out someone might be able to point you to a good breeder.
Ok great thanks! I was aware of not taking any of the native wild box turtles, i'll look into owning a captive-bred, thanks!

I'll head over to box turtle forums here as well. Thanks.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Va just recently changed their laws on box turtles. I have not done so, but you should dig into it to see what's legal or not. At first glance wild caught is definitely illegal, but it's not immediately clear if you can buy a captive bred eastern box turtle for example. Anyway, where's some info on it:

That said, there are many species out there that would be cool to have and legal to own. Chinese box turtles such as Cuora flavomarginata come to mind if you're hoping to stick with a turtle. Tortoises are nice because large bodies of water for swimming aren't required--depending on how aquatic of a box turtle species you were thinking about. Ultimately, get a species that you will enjoy if and when your daughter is no longer involved in its care.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Welcome!

Reptiles are not easy. None of them. lol They have very specific environmental, dietary, and anti-social needs (for plenty of alone time). Even though turtles and tortoises can seem very compact, they do need a fair amount of space to move around.

That being said, I do agree that the Chinese Box Turtle (Cuora flavinomarginata), or its slightly larger cousin the Golden Coin Turtle (Cuora trifasciata) have easy-to-understand care requirements (essentially the same as for N. American boxies), and can be quite out-going and unfazed by respectful handling.

This is reliable set-up and care info:

Adult animals hatched and raised in captivity are easier to learn with; hatchlings and other youngsters are fragile and less forgiving, so to speak, when conditions are not *exactly right*.

Measure twice, cut once -- no questions or concerns are unimportant! Let us know how to support you. =))

TortoiseMay

vienna, va
Va just recently changed their laws on box turtles. I have not done so, but you should dig into it to see what's legal or not. At first glance wild caught is definitely illegal, but it's not immediately clear if you can buy a captive bred eastern box turtle for example. Anyway, where's some info on it:

That said, there are many species out there that would be cool to have and legal to own. Chinese box turtles such as Cuora flavomarginata come to mind if you're hoping to stick with a turtle. Tortoises are nice because large bodies of water for swimming aren't required--depending on how aquatic of a box turtle species you were thinking about. Ultimately, get a species that you will enjoy if and when your daughter is no longer involved in its care.
I was actually just reading these before you sent them and yes they arent the most clear.

I owned a turtle as a boy named saturn and enjoyed him for years romping around our garden.

Thanks for the suggestion on the chinese box turtle. The gold coin one seems way too expensive and also seems like its been poached so ill stay away from it.

I finished the greenhouse and so far it seems like it will be a nice enclosure that ill be able to control temp and humidity for. We will wait a few weeks and monitor it with temp sensors to make sure.

Thanks!

TortoiseMay

vienna, va
Welcome!

Reptiles are not easy. None of them. lol They have very specific environmental, dietary, and anti-social needs (for plenty of alone time). Even though turtles and tortoises can seem very compact, they do need a fair amount of space to move around.

That being said, I do agree that the Chinese Box Turtle (Cuora flavinomarginata), or its slightly larger cousin the Golden Coin Turtle (Cuora trifasciata) have easy-to-understand care requirements (essentially the same as for N. American boxies), and can be quite out-going and unfazed by respectful handling.

This is reliable set-up and care info:

Adult animals hatched and raised in captivity are easier to learn with; hatchlings and other youngsters are fragile and less forgiving, so to speak, when conditions are not *exactly right*.

Measure twice, cut once -- no questions or concerns are unimportant! Let us know how to support you. =))
Appreciate the resources.

Quick question, is a 6ft x 8ft not sufficient space as the primary enclosure space? As it grew i was thinking of making a turtle run area to explore.

Im a firm believer of the measure twice mentality. We are getting the enclosure set up first and will then be seeking to acquire the turtle. I want to make sure the temp and humidity will be ok before we put anything in it.

I've repurposed a greenhouse and will be using temperature sensors and humidity sensors to help regulate.

Also im having a hard time finding places that actually sell box turtles, let alone specific species. Any suggestions? I would also prefer a more established older turtle but wouldnt know where to start.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Welcome Sweetie, and you too dad......

You have just received above, responses from some of the best talent...anywhere! Keep in mind that for box turtles, think "boggy ground with ponds" you have plenty of space w/ the greenhouse. For tortoises on the other hand have a completely different, arid environments(others here know more than I do so listen to them). You will figure out what works best for you guys however keep the thick skin on for hearing other opinions about space & ownership. I stay out of that because I; A-don't know & B-don't tell others, anything.

Being in Vienna(90F/90%RH in summer), it may be much easier to maintain a nice, boggy, humid habitat for a baby box turtle, also giving your little girl a life-long friend if she decides. There are some other members w/ stunning habitats in Va.

Sorry to hear about that "engineer thing" but we all have drawbacks & limitations<lol>.....a little professional teasing does seem to do you guys some good though so glad you are here! I guess how much big buildings cost and you guys were right about one thing, size matters.

For your girl;
Take your time, the care sheets in each section are by FAR, the best I've ever read anywhere.....you will learn things, promise!

My Dad got me my first turtle when I was 3 in Ann Arbor, 6 decades ago.

Good luck and have fun.....your dad really is the hero you think he is!

jeff

PS. Plenty here breed and sell, look around and make sure they are legit....just ask, no one here will protect a scumbag.....

I thinks there's a recent post of baby box turtles, you might want to reach out to them, begin the trek !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The best place to buy would be a breeder from this forum. If that doesn't work out, check out faunaclassifieds.com. lots of turtles for sale there. Just be sure to check them out to be sure they are trust worthy.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Quick question, is a 6ft x 8ft not sufficient space as the primary enclosure space? As it grew i was thinking of making a turtle run area to explore.

Im a firm believer of the measure twice mentality. We are getting the enclosure set up first and will then be seeking to acquire the turtle. I want to make sure the temp and humidity will be ok before we put anything in it.

I've repurposed a greenhouse and will be using temperature sensors and humidity sensors to help regulate.

Also im having a hard time finding places that actually sell box turtles, let alone specific species. Any suggestions? I would also prefer a more established older turtle but wouldnt know where to start.
Find a turtle and tortoise rescue in your area...google it...also the greenhouse is a great idea, BUT...he will also need a small insulated sleeping box. He should leave the greenhouse and go inside the sleeping box. I'm not saying it right but there should be a small sleeping box so that he can go in there inside the greenhouse he goes inside the sleeping box at night to sleep all of my tortoises leave their pens and go through doggy doors into a tortoise shed generally about 6:30. btw...box turtles are not tortoises. Please stick around as TFO has the most up to date research on keeping chelonia.
Here's 2 of my box turtles in the pond fed by the sprinkler. An Eastern box turtle on the left and an ornata on the right
100_7951.JPG
they also would be better, and safer with a closed sleeping box. Are you going to hibernate it? Just some thoughts. I googled captive bred Eastern box turtles in Virginia and it wouldn't copy for me... but look that up...

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Matthew, and welcome to you and your daughter to the Forum!!

Box turtles are great little animals. They get to be quite humanized and interactive.

ZenHerper

New Jersey

6 x 8 is fine...box turtles of all varieties need a good-sized, shallow water feature.

In general, properly cared for animals cost more than those mass-produced for profit. As the world's box turtles become more rare and endangered, the prices will continue to rise. A pet-quality juvenile or young adult Chinese or Golden Coin BT will cost ~$700.

Turtles and tortoises are all in short supply this year because people were looking for near-to-home projects and hobbies last year (wonder why lol) and they sold like crazy.

A few area rescues to investigate:

It's getting a bit late in the season (people usually get bored of their turtles in the early spring), but cra*gslist usually has listings (always meet up to exchange cash & turtle)...American Box turtle offerings are becoming more rare since the animals themselves are becoming harder legally to own and reproduce in captivity.