Favorite Shade Plants

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hello! I am about to get my first russian tort on Wednesday from someone on the forum. I'm still looking at plants to decorate the indoor enclosure and was wondering what everyones favorite plant was to put in an enclosure. I've looks at dozens of long lists of safe plants, but wanted to know if there were a few plants everyone agrees are great for more shade and for decorative purposes. Any ideas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just use whatever I have that happens to be in a small pot. I don't worry about the tortoise eating it because I leave them in the pot and the tortoise can't reach the plant. Plan on the plant not living long unless you rotate it outside occasionally, as plants, any plants, require very bright light in order to live in the house.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
In my Russian enclosure I have Jade, spider plants, Pothos, dracaena. You can also use herb plants. The tortoise is less likely to eat the herb plants. Russians are hard on plants so I would definitely recommend having them all in pots. of course it may not stop them, I noticed yesterday that mine had somehow gotten to the jade plant. I also got a few tropical type plants from Petco. They are meant to go into the enclosures. They told me there were no chemicals on them and that they were safe if the tortoise did eat them but I still rinse them off really well.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I like mediterranean herbs like lavender or thyme, they look very natural and have essetial oils that groom the shell and make it shiny, when the tortoise hides under it.

But they need a lot of light, so I don't know if they will survive in your indoor enclosure.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have a 5.0 hi output bulb and fixture in one enclosure and a 10.0 hi output bulb and fixturein the other

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks everyone. I'll definitely look into those. I already purchased some dandelion seeds and wheat grass seeds online. Thyme and the spider plant look very interesting.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Along with Yvonne's comment about having the plant in a pot above the reach of the tortoise, you may want to consider hanging the plant out of reach or outside of the enclosure even. Then you allow the plants leaves to drape into the enclosure and even down where the tortoise can nibble or crawl under the leaves, but not kill it by eating the main root stock area. With this you could include things (besides the great airplane plant) like vines of squash/pumpkin/cucumber. (if the light is high enough or do the rotation thing)

A lot of the smaller things like the grasses and small leafed veggies, you can plant in a small pretty short tub, when they are sprouted high enough, plant the entire tub into the substrate so your tortoise can get into it. It won't last long, but if you have several tubs at various growth you can keep rotating it. Much cheaper to keep buying new seeds, then new adult plants.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Along with Yvonne's comment about having the plant in a pot above the reach of the tortoise, you may want to consider hanging the plant out of reach or outside of the enclosure even. Then you allow the plants leaves to drape into the enclosure and even down where the tortoise can nibble or crawl under the leaves, but not kill it by eating the main root stock area. With this you could include things (besides the great airplane plant) like vines of squash/pumpkin/cucumber. (if the light is high enough or do the rotation thing)

A lot of the smaller things like the grasses and small leafed veggies, you can plant in a small pretty short tub, when they are sprouted high enough, plant the entire tub into the substrate so your tortoise can get into it. It won't last long, but if you have several tubs at various growth you can keep rotating it. Much cheaper to keep buying new seeds, then new adult plants.
What is an airplane plant? Do you have a picture of one?