Favorite Sulcata Foods / PICS!!

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Hey guys!
It has been a while since I've posted, since June 6, 2012!! Me and Turbo have been doing good. He mainly lives outside here in Florida but inside when the weather permits. Florida has been getting colder than I planned. He had a little garden of foods that I would pick to feed him when he had to stay in, but the cold killed that long ago. I have been feeding him mostly Spring Mix, and occasionaly some blended pumpkin, or cactus. However, being a college kid in nursing school with no time for a job, I am quickly running out of funds. He just hit 1000g last week and some days he will eat an entire box of Spring Mix in just one day. I need help! I have seen lists of all sorts of different kinds of food I can give him, but honestly it is overwhelmingly. I was wondering if you guys could please post the foods that you guys give your babes that are readily available, especially if you live in Florida. The weather feels like it may be warming up as it is in the 70s today, but of course it is florida and it might be in the 40s tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I will try to post some pics of him (if I remember how)

Turbo with my dog, Cooper. It's hard to tell in this picture, but Cooper is actually afraid of Turbo and it was amazing that I could get this picture before he ran away
562969_3361261085677_741249168_n.jpg

The first is a pic of Turbo the day I got him, Christmas of 2011, weighing 54 grams. The second is a picture on July 13, 2013, weighing 503 grams. He now doubled that, weighing 1000 grams!
946237_3308856055584_1346647607_n.jpg

This is Turbo this year on Christmas
1501836_3820751212643_2086049565_n.jpg

These next 2 were his 2013 halloween pictures
IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Hi fellow Floridian and Sulcata owner!
I am in Panama City Beach, and the cold did kill my small tort garden, also. However there are still quite a few weeds that never die..haha! Henbit, dandelions, dollar weeds, and chickweed are very plentiful in my yard. I have been mixing this with Milo's Spring Mix and Mazuri.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thank you for sharing those fun photos. You are very creative and looks like you are taking a very good care of all your animals.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Greetings fellow Floridians!

I have 2 10 month old sulcatas and I feed them a mix of grocery greens while I wait for my grass seed mix from TortoiseSupply.com arrive [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Good organic supermarket veggies I buy:

Dandelion greens
Kale
Endive
Escarole
Mustard greens
Collard greens
Turnip greens

I also feed them mazuri once a week, also some rehydrated Timothy hay.

I know you said you had a garden that the stupid cold weather killed off, but do you have access to any other weeds or have neighbors that don't use fertilizer or pesticide on their lawns?

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Unfortunately the only friendly neighbors of mine use pesticides :/
I am planning on buying some sulcata mix seeds and some dandelion seeds tomorrow :)
I do not feed him mazuri, i don't know why I never did. Maybe someone long ago told me not to. But I will have to wait until I get my financial aid money next to get that.
What all kinds of hay can I give him? Long ago when he was a baby I tried but he might eat it now. I know some are bad, but I don't remember which kinds.