Favorite things about caring for a CDT

raymond

5 Year Member
My favorite thing about caring for my cdt is that it is the California state reptile and they move with grace and wisdom, what r some of your favorite things about being a CDT caretaker?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's not really in the "caring for" category, but I just LOVE their eyes.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I second what both of you have already said. They always, even the babies, look wise beyond me and those eyes are so distinct and so beautiful and that it is our state reptile is just so cool.

They should be implicitly protected in California, unlike what Nevada (boo hiss hiss) is doing, or threatened to do, in euthanizing them. It's their state reptile too, the attorney general should have immediately threatened felony action for even thinking of killing them because there is no room at the inn and because they (those 5 agencies including the San Diego Zoo) spent that 159 million without planning future protection and sustainability.

I went off on a tangent, sorry. I just love those gopherus that much.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
My CDTs have so much personality -- Gomez follows my husband around the yard when he's out there doing chores, which just cracks me up. They're like a two-man landscaping crew. And Morticia cranes her head up and looks at me with so much inquisitiveness. When they're out exploring in the yard I could sit and watch them all day.

raymond

5 Year Member
Yes I mean caretaker like ppl will try to mess up ur habitat or like a perent and plus we do not own the CDT we care for it

Or care about um

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Robust character, tough persona, tenacious, resourceful, gladiator, physically strong, survivor mentality....just a handful of my favs...