Feedback on Redfoot Tortoise Enclosure

Marianne M

Location (City and/or State)
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
I am new to the forum and a soon to be first time redfoot owner. I am getting a 2 month old redfoot in a few weeks, which is very exciting! I would very much appreciate feedback on an enclosure, I have built for him/her.

The enclosure is approximately 14 sq.ft. (68” x27” excl. the corner area). I have a 2" layer of cypress mulch (on top of soil) mixed with sphagnum moss.
For the basking area I have a 160W Mega-Ray bulb and above the entire habitat is hanging four T5 light fixtures (Hydrofarm). I have a plexiglass roof and still trying to get the humidity and temperature right. I have two 150W CHE and a MistKing humidifier (5 nozzles). I seem to be losing quite a bit of humidity so I am thinking I will hang a shower curtain for the small open area to keep the moisture in.

The plants are: Hibiscus, Philea aluminum, Spider plant, Jade, Bromeliad (x2), African violet, Baby Tears, Peperomia, and Air plant (Tillandsia, x2). And then grass on the two platforms.

I read somewhere that a baby tortoise can get lost so I am thinking I will block off the ramp to the 1st floor for the first few months until he knows his way around.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions / recommendations - thanks in advance for your feedback, I really appreciate the expertise in the Forum!

IMG_1871 copy.jpg IMG_1872 copy.jpg IMG_1873 copy.jpg IMG_1874 copy.jpg IMG_1876 copy.jpg

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Looks good! I wouldn't worry about the tortoise getting lost in the enclosure, but that's just me.

Plowmandust77

10 Year Member!
Griffith Indiana
A 2 month old is a tiny little dude. Humidity in key into smooth growth. 80% or better. Not sure you need the basking bulb, red foots dont bask and you might irritate his little eyes w it. Just use fixture as another CHE. Looks cool. Whoever built this did a very good job.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Beware, if you get a daredevil tortoise they will try to climb the railing that you have on the ramp area. Mine will climb anything they can hook their little toenails into. - Make sure it is high enough that your baby doesn't fall and end up upside down.

LJL1982

UK
I am not a fan of sphagnum moss especially with youngsters as it is a real impaction risk if they ingest it...its not appropriate for tortoises full stop.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I am not a fan of sphagnum moss especially with youngsters as it is a real impaction risk if they ingest it...its not appropriate for tortoises full stop.
Good catch. You are correct.
It seems like maybe we were less informed about the real dangers of that moss back in 2017.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's an awesome looking enclosure. Good advice has been given!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good Lord ...this thread is six years old!!!