Feedback on these supplies needed

Legmaker72

Location (City and/or State)
South West Florida
Just looking for any feedback on these supplies, the good, bad and the ugly ;-)
I have a Marginated Tort for reference.

The hay hut is for a rabbit. Thought it might make a decent hide??

The cypress mulch was at Walmart. Not sure about it. I like the look of the coconut husk better.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Keith about the digital thermometer. The first two substrates shown are very good. I'd use either of those. The light isn't one I would buy. I prefer the dome/bell to be at least 10 or 12", not that deep dome, as it doesn't allow heat to dissipate. The Solar Glo bulb is ok, but I only use 100 watts. I usually buy Zoo Med Power Sun, though. Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise food is ok, however, for the hermann tortoise I'm not sure he'd eat it. They are more broad-leaf plant eaters, not grass. I'm not a fan of the Eco Earth substrate. I found too many hairs/strings. I just didn't like it. (I'm sure this is a personal preference) The little straw hiding place is good. I would buy one of those if my store sold them. And the cypress mulch is good. I like that one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If your marginated is a baby, then you should use the eco earth. If its a little older, then the coco chips or the orchid bark would be better. I'm not a fan of the cypress mulch. The coir and orchid bark can also be bought in bulk for a lot less money at any garden center.

Those dial type thermometers and hygrometers are not accurate or reliable.

The deep dome fixture will over heat your MVB.

The little hide made of hay is no good because you can't get it wet, and your substrate will need to be damp.

The ZooMed food is a good way to add much needed fiber to typical grocery store type greens. Just soak one single pellet, or half pellet and mix it in with the greens of the day. If you are able to feed lots of broadleaf weeds and leaves, then you won't need it.

In short, you've got to get out of the pet store and into the hardware store and garden center. Maybe Target or Walmart too.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This is typed up for russians, but the care is very similar for a Margie.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/