Feedback requested on my enclosed chamber - Red-foot

David M.

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Hey folks,

New tortoise owner here, and trying to provide the optimum enclosure for my Red-footed Tortoise. I've done a ton of reading on this forum, bought a book specific to red-foot care, bought another book on natural habitats of the world, and have scoured the internet. I believe this forum to have some of the most up-to-date information along with a slew of professional resources, so I'm reaching out. I, along with many others I'm sure, am aiming to have my little guy thrive rather than just survive.

Tort:
Assumed ~1yr Red-Footed Tortoise, captive bred
Purchased from PetCo. I regret this, wish I would have purchased from a well-known breeder. I did get confirmation of the captive bred status prior to purchase though, so that's a plus.

The enclosure:
- 5'x2'x2' Wood - Originally built for a Burmese Python, I purchased it from a local club member and have sealed off the topside vents with tinfoil.
- 50/50 Cypress Mulch/Topsoil with some Sphagnum mixed in
- Misting system set to activate every 8 hours for 60 seconds
- Hides - I'm not happy with them, I tried to find some more natural looking solutions but came up short. I have a 5-pack of black storage bins (12.2 x 7.8 x 5.1) being delivered in 2 days that I'll cut and sand some tort sized holes in.
- 24W T5-HO Arcadia 6% UVB, on a timer 10hr/day

Temp/Humidity:
Right side - Humidity too low, assuming this is because of the basking area.
- Day 92° / 55% humidity
- Night 88° / 70% humidity
Left side - Temp too low, need to increase size of DHP or swap to CHE
- Day 80° / 80-95% humidity
- Night 75° / 90%+ humidity

Plans:
1. New hides, 2 or 3 across the enclosure, to give a variety of temp/humidity safe places. Hides arriving 4/13
2. New right-side bulb. Previously tried a 100w Halogen which was too hot, removed that and swapped for a 60w CHE which is keeping the perfect temp. Plan to swap for a 50w/75w Halogen to add UVA exposure and visible light for the basking area, I've read this helps the tort understand where the basking area starts/stops and emulates the "go into the sun for heat" response. Purchasing bulbs today, 4/11.
3. New left-side bulb. Thinking I'll get a slightly larger DHP or swap to CHE, and adjust the direction of the lamp more towards the left side of the enclosure (mounted in the middle). Purchasing today, 4/11
4. More shade, from my reading red-foots like to feel secure in the shade of plants/hides/etc. In general, not a fan of bright lights as well. More tort safe plants to be added OR rigging up some sort of overhang system. Weekend of 4/16 project

Questions:

1. In the photos you can see the doors have a small ~.5in gap all the way around. I've added stick-on weather stripping to close those gaps but it's not a long term solution. What do y'all suggest I use for a more permanent fix?
2. What actions should I take to perfect temp/humidity. I know humidity is always a fine-tuning process, but y'all are the experts here. I think temp will be solved by my plans for bulb changes above. I feel I'm close to having temp/humidity optimal, but obviously "close" isn't good enough. The right side of the enclosure needs some love, humidity wise.
3. Is my misting system the best solution for humidity? I'm concerned the substrate will be too wet which will lead to shell rot, though it does appear to dry out before the next scheduled misting occurs. Am I misting too much?
4. Automation! For my reef tank I use a Neptune Apex, which digitally controls everything (Temp/Salinity/Lighting/etc). Is there already a product which offers this level of automation/control for Reptiles? If not, is there an open source solution for Raspberry Pi or anything similar? If nothing exists already I think I'll tackle that and build something. I would love to have a one-stop-shop to plug in all our equipment, set baselines for temp/humidity/lighting schedules/etc, and have peace of mind it's taken care of.
5. Open floor, please feel free to tear this apart. Tell me what is incorrect and how to fix it. I'm experienced in other expert level animal care but Tortoises are new to me. I want to learn from all of your combined experience.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to all the feedback.

Attachments

• 20220410_160704.jpg
    20220410_160704.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220411_102957.jpg
    20220411_102957.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220411_103004.jpg
    20220411_103004.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20220411_103940.jpg
    20220411_103940.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. I don’t keep Redfoots, but from everything I know about them, you don’t want it too too bright & they really like well-planted areas to remain hidden. So, id recommend some hanging Pothos to trail down inside for some cover & “shade” from the bright lights.

Good luck

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Forgive me. I'm having eye issues.
The moss needs to go away. It gets eaten and it doesn't digest well. If at all.
Humidity can be raised and stabilized by creating a closed chamber and adding water into the corners of THE ORCHID BARK substrate. The water will leave high humidity as it evaporates.
A wooden enclosure is difficult to keep from rotting with such a humid enclosure.

LisaLew

DFW Texas
Hey folks,

New tortoise owner here, and trying to provide the optimum enclosure for my Red-footed Tortoise. I've done a ton of reading on this forum, bought a book specific to red-foot care, bought another book on natural habitats of the world, and have scoured the internet. I believe this forum to have some of the most up-to-date information along with a slew of professional resources, so I'm reaching out. I, along with many others I'm sure, am aiming to have my little guy thrive rather than just survive.

Tort:
Purchased from PetCo. I regret this, wish I would have purchased from a well-known breeder. I did get confirmation of the captive bred status prior to purchase though, so that's a plus.

The enclosure:
- 5'x2'x2' Wood - Originally built for a Burmese Python, I purchased it from a local club member and have sealed off the topside vents with tinfoil.
- Hides - I'm not happy with them, I tried to find some more natural looking solutions but came up short. I have a 5-pack of black storage bins (12.2 x 7.8 x 5.1) being delivered in 2 days that I'll cut and sand some tort sized holes in.

Temp/Humidity:
- Day 92° / 55% humidity

Plans:
1. New hides, 2 or 3 across the enclosure, to give a variety of temp/humidity safe places. Hides arriving 4/13
2. New right-side bulb. Previously tried a 100w Halogen which was too hot, removed that and swapped for a 60w CHE which is keeping the perfect temp. Plan to swap for a 50w/75w Halogen to add UVA exposure and visible light for the basking area, I've read this helps the tort understand where the basking area starts/stops and emulates the "go into the sun for heat" response. Purchasing bulbs today, 4/11.
3. New left-side bulb. Thinking I'll get a slightly larger DHP or swap to CHE, and adjust the direction of the lamp more towards the left side of the enclosure (mounted in the middle). Purchasing today, 4/11
4. More shade, from my reading red-foots like to feel secure in the shade of plants/hides/etc. In general, not a fan of bright lights as well. More tort safe plants to be added OR rigging up some sort of overhang system. Weekend of 4/16 project

Questions:

1. In the photos you can see the doors have a small ~.5in gap all the way around. I've added stick-on weather stripping to close those gaps but it's not a long term solution. What do y'all suggest I use for a more permanent fix?
2. What actions should I take to perfect temp/humidity. I know humidity is always a fine-tuning process, but y'all are the experts here. I think temp will be solved by my plans for bulb changes above. I feel I'm close to having temp/humidity optimal, but obviously "close" isn't good enough. The right side of the enclosure needs some love, humidity wise.
3. Is my misting system the best solution for humidity? I'm concerned the substrate will be too wet which will lead to shell rot, though it does appear to dry out before the next scheduled misting occurs. Am I misting too much?
4. Automation! For my reef tank I use a Neptune Apex, which digitally controls everything (Temp/Salinity/Lighting/etc). Is there already a product which offers this level of automation/control for Reptiles? If not, is there an open source solution for Raspberry Pi or anything similar? If nothing exists already I think I'll tackle that and build something. I would love to have a one-stop-shop to plug in all our equipment, set baselines for temp/humidity/lighting schedules/etc, and have peace of mind it's taken care of.
5. Open floor, please feel free to tear this apart. Tell me what is incorrect and how to fix it. I'm experienced in other expert level animal care but Tortoises are new to me. I want to learn from all of your combined experience.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to all the feedback.
Hey folks,

Tort:

The enclosure:

Temp/Humidity:
- Day 92° / 55% humidity

Plans:

Questions:

Definitely agree with the comments. As mentioned, while you’re working diligently on everything else I would promptly take out the bright light - it’s uncomfortable for these little guys. I know many say don’t buy from a pet store, but I feel once purchased it’s a rescue. They are never set up properly to meet a Red Foot’s needs. What a cutie! Congratulations!

David M.

Nevada
Forgive me. I'm having eye issues.
The moss needs to go away. It gets eaten and it doesn't digest well. If at all.
Humidity can be raised and stabilized by creating a closed chamber and adding water into the corners of THE ORCHID BARK substrate. The water will leave high humidity as it evaporates.
A wooden enclosure is difficult to keep from rotting with such a humid enclosure.
I've been seeing mixed conclusions on sphagnum, but seeing as you're the red-foot wizard I'll take your word! I'll be removing it today.
If I'm reading this correctly a misting system is largely unnecessary then. I did some digging on the "pour water into the corners" method and it seems I may need to redo the substrate so the topsoil is on the bottom and the cypress mulch is on the top, unmixed. Or should I remove the topsoil all together? I also see you mentioned Orchid Bark, should I use that instead of Cypress Mulch while I'm at it?
The enclosure is coated in...something. I'm hoping that deters the breakdown due to humidity. But I've also been wanting to build my own PVC enclosure so that should be a great excuse to get working on it a little early

Definitely agree with the comments. As mentioned, while you’re working diligently on everything else I would promptly take out the bright light - it’s uncomfortable for these little guys. I know many say don’t buy from a pet store, but I feel once purchased it’s a rescue. They are never set up properly to meet a Red Foot’s needs. What a cutie! Congratulations!
Thank you! He does seem healthy which I'm very grateful for. As for the bright lights, the only lighting I have in the enclosure right now is the UVB so I dont think I can really remove it. Sounds like my best option is just to cram the enclosure with lots of plant cover for my dude to escape into. Or do you have a better idea for me? I'm all ears!

LisaLew

DFW Texas
I've been seeing mixed conclusions on sphagnum, but seeing as you're the red-foot wizard I'll take your word! I'll be removing it today.
If I'm reading this correctly a misting system is largely unnecessary then. I did some digging on the "pour water into the corners" method and it seems I may need to redo the substrate so the topsoil is on the bottom and the cypress mulch is on the top, unmixed. Or should I remove the topsoil all together? I also see you mentioned Orchid Bark, should I use that instead of Cypress Mulch while I'm at it?
The enclosure is coated in...something. I'm hoping that deters the breakdown due to humidity. But I've also been wanting to build my own PVC enclosure so that should be a great excuse to get working on it a little early

Thank you! He does seem healthy which I'm very grateful for. As for the bright lights, the only lighting I have in the enclosure right now is the UVB so I dont think I can really remove it. Sounds like my best option is just to cram the enclosure with lots of plant cover for my dude to escape into. Or do you have a better idea for me? I'm all ears!
I see. If he goes outside even once a week you don’t need the UVB. Yes having lots of places to hide sounds ideal. He will love it!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Yes. Creating a closed chamber enclosure and using Orchid bark that way will eliminate the need for the supplemental mister. How much water to ad will be decided by trial and error and will require some patience until you find what works. But then it's smooth sailing!
Watch out for that high temperature of 92. That is getting into to upper limit of comfort for a Redfoot. Anything from 80 to 86 is just ideal.
I'm very happy to see that you're getting rid of the moss and I certainly understand why you want to use it. Ot works GREAT! But the risks are just too real. And common.
As for hides, try some flowerpots laying on their sides and half buried in the substrate with a bit of it scooped out on the inside. Place at least one as far away from the lighting as you can. It'll probably become the sleeping quarters