Feeding a Sulcata without many options

Mollyworld

Hi, This is going to contain a few questions. I appreciate any help you can give. I'm a new Sulcata owner and i live in Mauritania, West Africa where Sulcata's originate. I was given our tortoise recently but it (we don't know the sex yet) is not young. We live in a desert and grass just doesn't exist here. the only hay we can buy is tan - it seems to have almost no nutrients. I can buy lettuce, cabbage, carrots, cucumber daily. Hibiscus flowers and leaves are abundant here but only in dried form. So here are my questions:
1) A former thread said i can feed it hibiscus but does this mean the plants' leaves and flowers?
2) Should we rehydrate anything dried we want to feed him (like alfalfa, hibiscus etc)?
3) Is cabbage ok on occasion?
3) If his/her diet is almost always lettuce, carrots, cucumber, will this be a problem?
4) should we give some hay even if it's tan?
5) peanut leaves are easy to get here, is that ok to give?

Any other suggestions for us would be appreciated! Thanks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
1.Both, very yummy :D
2.You can, I have trouble getting anyone to eat something dried
3. on OCCASION. Rare 'treat', not a staple at all
4.YES. None of those things are healthy in high amounts, and even low amounts. Lettuce is mostly water... and with a lot of cucumber, you'd be seeing a lot of runny poo in your future
5.Yes, I'm assuming it's just dried. These are nice-http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/standlee-hay-certified-premium-alfalfa-timothy-grass-cube-40-lb
6.Not sure about those, though :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your sulcata should be eating grass and weeds. If you can't find any weeds, you can settle for dark, leafy greens from the produce market. Lettuce, carrots and cucumber are not good food items for your Sulcata tortoise.

If your tortoise is a baby, he probably won't eat hay. They usually don't start eating hay until they get to be about 3 years old.

Peanut leaves are edible, but are high in Oxalic and tannic acids. You can decrease these acids by blanching the leaves.

You shouldn't get in the habit of feeding the same things all the time. A tortoise wanders over vast areas and eats a wide variety of different foods.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Cactus ? How about those plants shown in your avatar ? You have desert plants at all ?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
All the produce you mention...forget it! The two things not mentioned here...but sulcatas thrive on in African...are melons and mangoes! African mangoes are not the same as Indian or other forms...so consider those. Cactus is a GREAT food item...once a week. Cabbage is a no-no! Alfalfa is AWESOME...because they do need protein...regardless of what some ''experts'' think! Since most of the sub-Saharan grasses brown up anyway, hay is a great choice...even brown. And, if your sulcata doesn't care for hay at first...you CAN rehydrate it. Hibiscus is fine...dry or rehydrated! If they like it dry...don't bother rehydrating! But, as long as you have access to any natural grass and weeds, chances are your animal will do just fine on them.

Also, when you get a chance, post a photo for us...thanks!