Feeding Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Snapped some pictures while feeding the menagerie of tortoises at one of the stores. We alternate between feeding "wet" food, like fresh greens and shredded veggies, and providing "dry" food, such as the ZooMed pelleted diets and hay. By the time they go to a new home, many of our tortoises will readily eat dry food, which makes it easy for keepers at home to include a wider variety of food for their torts.

The mix: Kale, Red Leaf Lettuce, Radish Tops, Cilantro, shredded Carrots, Radishes, and whole strawberries (including the tops). We also sprinkled each serving with some ZooMed Reptivite (w/D3).

A baby Leopard Tortoise chowing down!

Small Hermann's Tortoises digging in

Elongated tortoise ventured out to grab a bite to eat

This adult female Russian tortoise was dropped off by a customer, with the claim that she'd only eat iceberg lettuce... nope, here she's chowing on some cilantro and red leaf, and ended up eating her entire pile of mixed greens! A little tough love with no iceberg in sight seemed to change her mind...

And I know this isn't a tortoise, but even our baby blue tongues love their greens mix...

Hope you enjoyed! :)

-Jen

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Very nice look dish, Im sure that female Russian is now enjoying the better diet...

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
Looks like variety... As I understand tortoise also need the exercise from biting, ripping, tearing, pulling... How is this incooperated?

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Turtlechasers said:
Looks like variety... As I understand tortoise also need the exercise from biting, ripping, tearing, pulling... How is this incooperated?

The pieces aren't so small that they can just chow them down in one bite. The baby tortoises definitely rip and tear the chunks constantly.

They also have Tortoise Blocks to gnaw on in each cage. :)

-Jen

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
tyler0912 said:
Should the leopard not be on a high humidity substrate....am i wrong?

The leopard tortoise is on sanichips... it's not a particularly humid substrate, although they do have a humid hide.

Maybe I am not understanding the question?

-Jen

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes Tyler0912, your right.:D They do need high humidity so they don't pyramid. At least 80 and warm temp not under 80. I thought I seen a little pyramiding in the baby leo, but Some times the angle of the pic makes it look that way.:D

tyler0912 said:
Oh i just thought they need high humidity as babes!! :)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
wellington said:
Yes Tyler0912, your right.:D They do need high humidity so they don't pyramid. At least 80 and warm temp not under 80. I thought I seen a little pyramiding in the baby leo, but Some times the angle of the pic makes it look that way.:D

tyler0912 said:
Oh i just thought they need high humidity as babes!! :)

glad it was not my imagination...

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
As LLL is not the breeder of the tortoise, it is unlikely that LLL bears any responsibility for any pyramiding. In addition, the hot/humid method espoused by many on this forum is not the only respected method by which to raise a tortoise. Another method includes providing a humid hide. I'm not criticizing either method here, but merely pointing out that there are proponents of different methods that claim success, as demonstrated by several threads on the issue in the debate section. :)

Thank you for posting the pictures, Jen. It's always fun to get an inside glimpse! I've found that most russians will eat what is put in front of them, once they realize that's all they're getting. They're like spoiled children that way.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
thanks for sharing, that salad looks pretty good

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Lulu said:
As LLL is not the breeder of the tortoise, it is unlikely that LLL bears any responsibility for any pyramiding. In addition, the hot/humid method espoused by many on this forum is not the only respected method by which to raise a tortoise. Another method includes providing a humid hide. I'm not criticizing either method here, but merely pointing out that there are proponents of different methods that claim success, as demonstrated by several threads on the issue in the debate section. :)

Thank you for posting the pictures, Jen. It's always fun to get an inside glimpse! I've found that most russians will eat what is put in front of them, once they realize that's all they're getting. They're like spoiled children that way.

Exactly! In addition, we alternate in the ways we house them; currently, in winter, sanichips are fine, but in the summer with the additional heat around here and the AC running, it gets too dry. So, in summer, we'll often switch to bark chips. That's one of the nice things about being in the store...since we clean everything every week anyway, we can switch up the bedding whenever it seems appropriate. We're adaptable!

I have found that to be the case with most Russian tortoises as well. And it's fun to share with people passionate about the animals! Most people don't get to see some of the funner parts about working in the store, feeding the animals is definitely one of those. Glad you enjoyed the pictures!

-Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.