1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

feeding/enclosure help with sulcata tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoise FAQs - New and need help?' started by Jewels03, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Jewels03

Jewels03 New Member

I have a very young tortoise, roughly 5 inches long. right now we are keeping him contained in a large sterilite bin with a heat lamp on one side and a hidey house. As far as substrate I threw orchard grass down as I was told they will munch on that. The people who sold the tortoise to my child told him that all they need to eat is grass so he should just go yank out handfuls of grass out of the yard every day for the tortoise and he will be fine. Is this true? I have quite the vast amount of veggies because I have quite a few reptiles that eat veggies and fruits so if the tortoise needs veggies that is no problem I gave him a bowl of turnip greens with grass mixed in for now with a small bowl of water to prevent drowning. I work at an exotic vet and he does see quite a few reptiles/tortoises so I plan on bringing him in with me on Monday for a check up to make sure he is healthy, but in the meantime what am I doing right/wrong? I want to keep him as happy/healthy as possible. I am scowering the forum as well.
    ValerieAnn likes this.
  2. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    We all like Picts . Of the tort , the enclosure . And until a expert can get here read the care sheets and look at the enclosures sheets . I'm sorry scully's get to big for me . But have a great tort day !
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Just bear in mind that a lot of vets really don't know all that much about tortoise husbandry. You're much better off getting the 'how to' info here rather than from a vet. Like I told you on your introductory thread, read our pinned threads at the top of the Sulcata section. We have NEW, cutting edge info on raising baby sulcatas. It's a complete 180 from the way we used to do it even as little as 5 years ago.
    Jewels03 likes this.
  4. Jewels03

Jewels03 New Member

I have been reading the pins for most the night and I am busy making plans for a new enclosure for him asap as I see what he is in isn't big enough for him. He eventually will be kept outside as we have a little over half an acre but for him being such a small fry now he'll stay inside with daily supervised trips outside.
  5. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

6. Bkelly

Bkelly Member

Hey i have sulcatas. Hatchling what should i use for substrate! Whats the best!
  7. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member