feeding/enclosure help with sulcata tortoise

Jewels03

I have a very young tortoise, roughly 5 inches long. right now we are keeping him contained in a large sterilite bin with a heat lamp on one side and a hidey house. As far as substrate I threw orchard grass down as I was told they will munch on that. The people who sold the tortoise to my child told him that all they need to eat is grass so he should just go yank out handfuls of grass out of the yard every day for the tortoise and he will be fine. Is this true? I have quite the vast amount of veggies because I have quite a few reptiles that eat veggies and fruits so if the tortoise needs veggies that is no problem I gave him a bowl of turnip greens with grass mixed in for now with a small bowl of water to prevent drowning. I work at an exotic vet and he does see quite a few reptiles/tortoises so I plan on bringing him in with me on Monday for a check up to make sure he is healthy, but in the meantime what am I doing right/wrong? I want to keep him as happy/healthy as possible. I am scowering the forum as well.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
We all like Picts . Of the tort , the enclosure . And until a expert can get here read the care sheets and look at the enclosures sheets . I'm sorry scully's get to big for me . But have a great tort day !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just bear in mind that a lot of vets really don't know all that much about tortoise husbandry. You're much better off getting the 'how to' info here rather than from a vet. Like I told you on your introductory thread, read our pinned threads at the top of the Sulcata section. We have NEW, cutting edge info on raising baby sulcatas. It's a complete 180 from the way we used to do it even as little as 5 years ago.

Jewels03

I have been reading the pins for most the night and I am busy making plans for a new enclosure for him asap as I see what he is in isn't big enough for him. He eventually will be kept outside as we have a little over half an acre but for him being such a small fry now he'll stay inside with daily supervised trips outside.