Feeding for musk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
If any of you have seen my other threads than you know that I am going to order a stinkpot musk turtle soon. I will be feeding it reptomin pellets and I was wondering how many pellets I should feed it a day.ive already heard about giving it as much as it will eat in 15 minutes but I don't wanna accidentally over feed it.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
How old is the stinkpot?
Where are you getting it from and can you find out what they are feeding and how much?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Don't only feed it the pellets, make sure you have some meat like krill or mealworms. As they get older feed it some fruits and vegi's.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
kathyth said:
How old is the stinkpot?
Where are you getting it from and can you find out what they are feeding and how much?

I'm ordering a hatchling from turtle source and they send in some free food that the turtle has been raised on, however the site does not say how much they feed them.

mattgrizzlybear said:
Don't only feed it the pellets, make sure you have some meat like krill or mealworms. As they get older feed it some fruits and vegi's.

I will definetly feed it lots of different foods like some turkey,romain lettuce to snack on, mealworms, etc. I have done research of this type of turtle for months and i know very many things about it but I just sadly cannot find how much to feed it :(

Btw your profile pic looks really cool mattgrizzlybear

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
No worry, I don't think it will overfeed in a given 15 minutes time. Mine usually eat around the same amount per day in less than 15 minutes and I feed it twice per day.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
There are a number of methods to feeding amount. Some of those most common are: 1) what they can eat in 15 minutes; 2) what fits inside their head when hollow. For hatchling muds and musks, we just try keeping food in the tank at all times and let them go find it when they want it.

Personally, we're not fans or Reptomin at all. I've written on commercial foods for aquatics here: http://trtlrm.com/IE3iRH

What Turtle Source sent along was Mazuri. Much better food. For musks, we also really like Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets or Hikari Massivore Diet (Same product in different pellet size). It has protein levels great for musks and provides better additional nutrition than Reptomin will.

I would NOT feed turkey or mealworms. Mealworms have little value and are hard to digest. If you want to feed live foods to a musk, I'd suggest snails, shrimp, and fish. However, if this is a hatchling, I'd wait til its grown a bit before offering live foods in the tank. They can be shy and not want to eat right when you feed. Our musks (when hatchlings) have always preferred eating at night. Turkey can be ok, as long as it has not been cooked with any seasonings or oils at all. Frankly, if you want to feed some kind of meat like that, beef heart or chicken heart would be better than turkey.

Musks normally don't take a lot of greens. So, don't be surprised if it doesn't eat lettuce. In the wild, the only greens they get are typically that gut-loaded in their prey.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
theTurtleRoom said:
There are a number of methods to feeding amount. Some of those most common are: 1) what they can eat in 15 minutes; 2) what fits inside their head when hollow. For hatchling muds and musks, we just try keeping food in the tank at all times and let them go find it when they want it.

Personally, we're not fans or Reptomin at all. I've written on commercial foods for aquatics here: http://trtlrm.com/IE3iRH

What Turtle Source sent along was Mazuri. Much better food. For musks, we also really like Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets or Hikari Massivore Diet (Same product in different pellet size). It has protein levels great for musks and provides better additional nutrition than Reptomin will.

I would NOT feed turkey or mealworms. Mealworms have little value and are hard to digest. If you want to feed live foods to a musk, I'd suggest snails, shrimp, and fish. However, if this is a hatchling, I'd wait til its grown a bit before offering live foods in the tank. They can be shy and not want to eat right when you feed. Our musks (when hatchlings) have always preferred eating at night. Turkey can be ok, as long as it has not been cooked with any seasonings or oils at all. Frankly, if you want to feed some kind of meat like that, beef heart or chicken heart would be better than turkey.

Musks normally don't take a lot of greens. So, don't be surprised if it doesn't eat lettuce. In the wild, the only greens they get are typically that gut-loaded in their prey.

Thank you, i think after what I have heard from everyone that I will do the fifteen minute method. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.