Feeding frequency??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhcl2241

5 Year Member
I just brought home my 2 year old sulcata. She will EAT all the time!!! I have these things that I am feeding her squash, mustard and collard greens, Zilla-fortified land and tortoise pellets and zoo-med-grassland tortoise pellets. I am not giving these all at once, but I have learned that she LOOOVES the pellets. She also loves the squash. Is there a limit I should be giving her every day or should I allow her to eat as she pleases?? My leopard NEVER eats that much and I always end up having to take all the wilted lettuce and dried pellets out every day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Frequency??

The pellets, most of us soak in water before feeding. The squashes should be more of a treat then an every day thing. More grasses and weeds, flowers and hays would be a much better diet for your sully and leopard. Check out the tortoisetable.org for edible flowers and weeds. Some off hand are: hibiscus flower and leaf, rose of Sharon flower and leaf, optunia cactus, mulberry leaf, just to name a few.

mhcl2241

5 Year Member
Frequency??

Ok, so I live in Colorado so my torts are kept indoors most of the year and during the night.... Or when I cannot be home to monitor them. (We live in a rural area and have many predators) when I place them outside, they will not eat grass. Even when I try to cut the grass up and add it into their other food. My main issue is my leopard tortoise. A) he refuses to eat anything with calcium powder sprinkled on it and B) is the pickiest eater ever!!!! This is all probably the cause of him not growing at all!!! I currently am just trying to find something that he will eat while adding rescue-cal to his water to strengthen his shell and try I get him to grow!!! Look at this picture.... They are only a few months apart ImageUploadedByTortForum1378505307.456145.jpg

Yeah, I just honestly don't have any weeds to feed them! Lol I do wet the pellets when I give them to the torts. No way my tiny leopard could eat anything hard like that. I tried to have a hibiscus and it died..... I think I am going to try that wheat grass an see how that goes.... It's also hard because going to a garden center and telling them some of these plants, they look at me like I am crazy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.