feeding my Russian tort

lil foot

Location (City and/or State)
indiana
Peitre is finally eating after 14 days but pulling food out of bowl and getting coco fiber on it . do I need to tear leaves up more

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I generally cut up large chunks of food into smaller chunks, but that's because I have so many tortoises to feed and it makes it easier for me to dig my hands in the tub and mix it all up.

I never like the coco fiber for that very reason. It's just too messy to suit me. I like tiny pieces of fir bark instead. . . easier to walk on, and not messy at all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't that get on his food to
No. The chunks are bigger. Here's what the food tile looks like this a.m. before I add the food:

food tile.jpg

As you can see, there are a few chunks of bark on the tile, but they're plenty big enough that the tortoises don't accidentally ingest them. All I need to do is wipe off the tile and it's good to go for this a.m.'s food.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
No. The chunks are bigger. Here's what the food tile looks like this a.m. before I add the food:

View attachment 258584

As you can see, there are a few chunks of bark on the tile, but they're plenty big enough that the tortoises don't accidentally ingest them. All I need to do is wipe off the tile and it's good to go for this a.m.'s food.

Wow, that's an interesting scute pattern the one on the left has. Very unique!