feeding my tort

Aeva

Location (City and/or State)
Madagascar
How many tortoises are you keeping in that enclosure? In your enclosure I see two heads of what look to be Romain lettuce. The average number of calories in a head of Romaine lettuce is 108. Muliply that by two, and you get 216 calories of food per week. 216 calories would scarcely be enough calories to nourish ONE tortoise for a week let alone several.

Why are you feeding your tortoises lettuce? You live in there native habitat, so you should feed them weeds that grow there. Is there lettuce sprouting up in abundance in Madagascar? Lettuce provides very little nutritional value compared to the things that they would likely be eating in the wild.
I keep 4 torts in this enclosure. I tried to give them various vegetables, but all they would eat is lettuce, carrots, and medlar. There is weed and clovers in the enclosure, but they eat them rarely. Lettuce is what I leaved today, but I always change. They are not in their native habitat, cause I live 900km away of where they come from. Last time they were awake, it's been 4 days ago.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I rescued them from being eaten. Many people still eat them cause of an ancestral medicine. I'm in a country that still live centuries ago. No one in my village knows I have them. If so, there will be many tentative to stole them. I really love this way everybody is sarcastic without knowing anything.
We only know what you tell us !

Aeva

Madagascar
So are you saying you gathered them illegally ?
Let me tell you the story. One day, a man appeared at my store with many tortoises in a backpack. He was a trafficker who got the tortoises from the wild, and sell them as medicines or meat(I personnally know some people who really appreciate the tortoise meat, and some others who use their shell for medicine). He was there explaining me everything I can do with the tortoises, all the bad stuff... and he was on his way to do many deliveries for people who ordered from him. He stopped by my store just to have a drink, and I proposed him twice the price he asked to sell me some of the tortoises, since they were already reserved. I got my 4 tortoises then. It's been 2 years ago, and the trafficker didn't know I was keeping them as pet. So yes, I think I had them illegally, but I don't regret anything. The link I sent is just to show you how it works here. I didn't remove them from the wild, and I can't release them where they where, I just think they're more safe with me. And if this man re-show again, I think I'll get more tortoises. I don't know how you feel about me, but I can tell I'm truly honest for my love of these buddies. So I hope we're all OK now? No more misunderstanding?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Let me tell you the story. One day, a man appeared at my store with many tortoises in a backpack. He was a trafficker who got the tortoises from the wild, and sell them as medicines or meat(I personnally know some people who really appreciate the tortoise meat, and some others who use their shell for medicine). He was there explaining me everything I can do with the tortoises, all the bad stuff... and he was on his way to do many deliveries for people who ordered from him. He stopped by my store just to have a drink, and I proposed him twice the price he asked to sell me some of the tortoises, since they were already reserved. I got my 4 tortoises then. It's been 2 years ago, and the trafficker didn't know I was keeping them as pet. So yes, I think I had them illegally, but I don't regret anything. The link I sent is just to show you how it works here. I didn't remove them from the wild, and I can't release them where they where, I just think they're more safe with me. And if this man re-show again, I think I'll get more tortoises. I don't know how you feel about me, but I can tell I'm truly honest for my love of these buddies. So I hope we're all OK now? No more misunderstanding?
I understand.
It can be very different in developing countries like ours.