feeding sulcata or let be

boostedsil40

Location (City and/or State)
phx az
Hello I have a sulcat tortoise that's free range,when she was small I had her indoors and fed her grass/leafy store bought greens/some vegtables but now that shes outdoors she doesn't really eat what I put out.we have had lots of rain here in the desert amd weeds/grass has been full bloom,my question is does she have everything she needs outdoors?right now we have 3 types of grass like Bermuda/winter/some thin type and we have weeds all over like London rocket/shepards purse/chickweed/dandelion/common mallow,My rabbits diet is basically 90% weeds and grass so Im wondering if im wasting money buying the toroise sore bought veggies when we have so much variety of weeds at least for this time of year.Its like a mini forest of weeds back there.Let me know if they should just eat the grass and weeds or if I should continue to buy leafy greens and veggies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In the summer when weeds and grass is available I only feed mazuri tortoise pellets once or twice a week. This way I feel they are getting out of the mazuri what they might be missing in just the weeds and grass.
I use store greens are for winter only.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I have a sulcat tortoise that's free range,when she was small I had her indoors and fed her grass/leafy store bought greens/some vegtables but now that shes outdoors she doesn't really eat what I put out.we have had lots of rain here in the desert amd weeds/grass has been full bloom,my question is does she have everything she needs outdoors?right now we have 3 types of grass like Bermuda/winter/some thin type and we have weeds all over like London rocket/shepards purse/chickweed/dandelion/common mallow,My rabbits diet is basically 90% weeds and grass so Im wondering if im wasting money buying the toroise sore bought veggies when we have so much variety of weeds at least for this time of year.Its like a mini forest of weeds back there.Let me know if they should just eat the grass and weeds or if I should continue to buy leafy greens and veggies.
Our "weed" season is the same as yours. When the "winter" rains come. I love this time of year specifically because I don't have to "feed" my tortoises anything at all. In years past, I would put out a tray of delicious stuff for them to eat and they would literally walk over the food tray and drag it everywhere while walking over to go graze on the wild weeds and grasses. I learned pretty quickly that they don't need or want to be "fed" this time of year. Usually I get 3 or 4 months of weeds and grasses each year. I try to water and prolong it, but when that heat comes, it all withers and dies even when I water it.

Now I'm on opposing cycles of growing different things. My broadleaf plantain gardens, grape vines, mulberry trees, opuntia stands, and Testudo seed mixes all go dormant in winter, but that is when the rains come and the weeds and grasses come back. When the heat and dryness return all those other good things start growing again, and get me through the long hot summers. There is a bit of fall when the temps drop and days get shorter, and the leaves all fall off my mulberry trees and grape vines, but before the rains come and bring back the glorious green weeds when I don't have much to offer them. Grass hay, Mazuri, and cactus pads get me through those times. All my good stuff is up and running as the weeds dry up and die, so I don't have that foodless dry spell in spring time.

To answer your question: It sounds like you have a great assortment of excellent tortoise food in abundance, and there should be no need to feed your tortoise anything extra. It will all dry out and die soon enough. Save your tortoise food for May/June and beyond.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I’m in NV, your assortment is very close to mine. Before the rains I didn’t have enough weeds and grass so I would buy dandelion greens, collards, and cactus pads to complete diet. I also was lucky enough to hit my moms house in So Cal a few times and brought back a bunch of chickweed, dandelion, & grass. That was an enormous help. But March to October I don’t buy anything but cactus pad and I supplement with hay soaked in mazuri... But I actually don’t know if the mazuri is necessary...I feel in general if an adult Sulcata has enough space, their warm area, water, and a high fiber grass/weed based diet = A thriving tortoise.

boostedsil40

phx az
In the summer when weeds and grass is available I only feed mazuri tortoise pellets once or twice a week. This way I feel they are getting out of the mazuri what they might be missing in just the weeds and grass.
I use store greens are for winter only.
I didn't even consider pellets,this is a sulcate though.Ill buy some pellets for the sulcate if it will eat them.