Feeling lucky at Wal-mart

JanelP

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
Went to see if they had any succulants. Honestly I did not think I would find anything edible, however I walked away with a full spread to make a cactus garden with some variety.
IMG_20180520_174037.jpg
I know I've read that the tortoises don't have to worry about the spines, but it this true for the little babies too?

IMG_20180520_174037.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Went to see if they had any succulants. Honestly I did not think I would find anything edible, however I walked away with a full spread to make a cactus garden with some variety.
View attachment 239326
I know I've read that the tortoises don't have to worry about the spines, but it this true for the little babies too?
The only one in your pic that I know is safe is the opuntia up in the top of the photo. You'll need to get the other ones ID'd to know if they are safe to feed to a tortoise or not. Some succulents are toxic.

JanelP

Idaho
The only one in your pic that I know is safe is the opuntia up in the top of the photo. You'll need to get the other ones ID'd to know if they are safe to feed to a tortoise or not. Some succulents are toxic.
Yes. I had quite the stares as I was picking up plants and entering the names into the table tortoise page.....lol like walmart isnt weird enough..
going top, left to right. both are opuntias, then echeveria, Sedum stonecrop, and sedum album. I made sure they had tags, and they matched the pics pretty much perfectly.

Reactions: Tom

JanelP

Idaho
Are you planning to repot and grow to get rid of any pesticides?
Yes, Thank you for reminding me. do you think just rinsing them off will be ok? I'm not going to start feeding right away on the pads, I wanted to get some growth on it first. Do you think shake as much soil off and completely repot? They are going to be grown indoors so I can control the temp and light duration. Hoping I can propogate some fruit even.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Most garden centers and nurseries use pesticides that are actually absorbed into the plants. Not something that can be washed off.
To help get it out of your plants system, I would repot with new soil. I wouldn't feed it for at least a year personally, but some people will offer it after 6months. It's worth being cautious, since we want our torts to out live us..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most garden centers and nurseries use pesticides that are actually absorbed into the plants. Not something that can be washed off.
To help get it out of your plants system, I would repot with new soil. I wouldn't feed it for at least a year personally, but some people will offer it after 6months. It's worth being cautious, since we want our torts to out live us..
I don't know if this applies to succulents, because they are not generally susceptible to bugs the way other plants are. Let's ask the pros:

@Iochroma
@cdmay

What do you guys have to say about succulents and systemic pesticides?

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I am pretty sure all the large commercial growers of succulents for a big box is using a regimen of pesticides; I worry more about the fungicides than systemic insecticides, FWIW. I think at least one year of growing in clean conditions after purchase would be the minimum before introducing new succulents to your reptile environment.