Fellow Michiganders! (and probably a lot of others.) COOL tool for weed I.D.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
http://www.msuturfweeds.net/

You can input your ZIP code, it has detailed pictures along with species names. Makes it VERY easy to reference to your favorite edible list! Split into broadleaf and grasses.

I just I.D.'ed a couple plants that I had been wondering about, but were hard to find by googling. Turns out all 4 are on the AT edible list, so I am super stoked!

(P.S. Just checked a ZIP in WI, and it worked.)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
kyryah said:

You can input your ZIP code, it has detailed pictures along with species names. Makes it VERY easy to reference to your favorite edible list! Split into broadleaf and grasses.

I just I.D.'ed a couple plants that I had been wondering about, but were hard to find by googling. Turns out all 4 are on the AT edible list, so I am super stoked!

Thanks! Seems we have the same plants down here then you do up there. Or at least the pictures didn't change.

Yellow rocket is something I have in the back, I didn't know what it was

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
kyryah said:

Thanks for the link[sorry it doesn't work for new jersey] but the names and pics are the same so it is VERY helpful.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Hey, Spartans rule.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would have never known that Queen Anne's Lace was edible, because I never would have called it "wild carrot." Very cool.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Itort said:
Hey, Spartans rule.

You are banned from the forum, none of this nonsense talk of the Spartans!

On topic: I got side-tracked but these plants listed are ALL edible, or it just tells you what weeds are here and I will cross reference other sites?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
kyryah said:
Nope, they aren't all edible, I was cross referencing with the list here - http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm

Most of what I looked at WAS edible, however. Having the scientific names makes it so much easier, common names can very so much from region to region.

Thats what I use as well. Didn't see Yellow rocket in any of the lists (toxic or not). But it's a mustard so I assume it just has higher oxalic acid, but is edible

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Too far away from us AWESOME Michigan people :p

Still, the pictures are very clear and detailed, and it certainly helped me.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
My son is a U of M grad 2008. I fell in love with AnnArbor the day we dropped him off in 2004. I'm sorry I didn't get to see more of Mi.,but I have to say, I never came across an unfriendly person on any of the many visits I made.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Annieski said:
My son is a U of M grad 2008. I fell in love with AnnArbor the day we dropped him off in 2004. I'm sorry I didn't get to see more of Mi.,but I have to say, I never came across an unfriendly person on any of the many visits I made.

Visit Detroit and you will see the exact opposite! OK, not exactly that bad, but I wouldn't recommend driving at night through detroit!

But yes that site is great. I've already ID'd some plants I didnt know what they were.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You should try going down Harper Avenue in the dark, the wrong way, down past Harpos to where every other house is burnt out, garbage blowing everywhere - not fun. I wasn't driving. My idiot husband was. I told him if he did not turn around and go back the way I told him, I was gonna kill him, lol.

Actually, the people I did meet that trip were all very nice - it was just so far from the environment I grew up in, rural, dirtroad, everyone knows everyone type, it scared the heck out of me.

Anyway, I digress.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Seiryu said:
Itort said:
Hey, Spartans rule.

You are banned from the forum, none of this nonsense talk of the Spartans!

On topic: I got side-tracked but these plants listed are ALL edible, or it just tells you what weeds are here and I will cross reference other sites?
Oh Oh I smell a Wolverine but that is better than a Buckeye. Actually my brother went to the U of M but we love him anyway. :D Back to subject at hand, it works for Iowa and Illinois, so guess it is for Midwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.