Female CDT's

Status
Not open for further replies.

snaofreno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno, Nevada
Will anyone please share experiences and/or knowledge of female California Desert Tortoises living together? Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of the time they get along fine. Pairs can be problematic, but even then it often works out with a large enough yard and multiple burrows.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have several females and one male CDT in a pen together. There are two hiding places and about 2000 square feet of grass area for them. I never see any discord among the tortoises.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Experts, wondering ...

Would there ever be a concern when introducing a long term captive and lone kept CDT to a new environment with other CDT(s) that one or the other would do some harm with hidden/unknown mycoplasma organism? Do the experts and/or CTTC members quarantine CDTs when bringing them in for fostering? Do CDT take-ins get tested or is the ELISA test still only being done in Florida? (I read that at some point). At a CTTC meeting I attended several months ago it was shared that several CDTs had died while waiting to be adopted and I wondered then as I am now if the mycoplasma, with the stress of a new environment, was harbored in the body and suddenly presented itself from the stress of being uprooted/habitat changes, and killed them. I know Dr. Mary Brown has said in lectures that horizontal transmission is triggered immensely by stress. Best be safe, than sorry and sad. Your thoughts?

snaofreno

5 Year Member
Reno, Nevada
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Experts, wondering ...

Would there ever be a concern when introducing a long term captive and lone kept CDT to a new environment with other CDT(s) that one or the other would do some harm with hidden/unknown mycoplasma organism? Do the experts and/or CTTC members quarantine CDTs when bringing them in for fostering? Do CDT take-ins get tested or is the ELISA test still only being done in Florida? (I read that at some point). At a CTTC meeting I attended several months ago it was shared that several CDTs had died while waiting to be adopted and I wondered then as I am now if the mycoplasma, with the stress of a new environment, was harbored in the body and suddenly presented itself from the stress of being uprooted/habitat changes, and killed them. I know Dr. Mary Brown has said in lectures that horizontal transmission is triggered immensely by stress. Best be safe, than sorry and sad. Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.