Female Hermann tortoise sometimes walking strange

jakey

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hello everyone.

We have a 14 year old female Hermann tortoise which we’ve had for around 8 months now.

Last couple of days she seems to sometimes walk a little funny like she has problems with her front left leg.

I would describe it as having moments where she is unable to support her weight... but then other times she’s flying across the lawn like there’s no issues.

When handling her to bath her etc the leg seems just as strong as it always is. Touching it or moving it doesn’t seem to make her react with pain.

However looking closely there is a strange brownish patch by her nail.

Any advice? Is there anything which can be done? Or just a case of waiting it out?

Thank you.IMG_0562.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hello everyone.

We have a 14 year old female Hermann tortoise which we’ve had for around 8 months now.

Last couple of days she seems to sometimes walk a little funny like she has problems with her front left leg.

I would describe it as having moments where she is unable to support her weight... but then other times she’s flying across the lawn like there’s no issues.

When handling her to bath her etc the leg seems just as strong as it always is. Touching it or moving it doesn’t seem to make her react with pain.

However looking closely there is a strange brownish patch by her nail.

Any advice? Is there anything which can be done? Or just a case of waiting it out?

Thank you.View attachment 244270

That nail has been involved in an injury....from the pic you can see it is clearly darker and trying to compartmentalize and heal....If it were me :) I would use a soak of warm water and be certain to clean it a few times a day and be prepared for the nail to fall off at some point during the healing process...but a nail will regrow, so don't ick out too much :)