Female i think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortguy521

5 Year Member
Hi i just bought a female pancake tortoise but just to be positive that the guy i bought her from was correct can someone tell me if she is reall a she.

thanks

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
It looks male to us, and yes all 4 of us looked and agreed. However, it is impossible to tell the size of the tortoise in the photo. We looked at one of our adult females today and her tail is very short and stubby, does not fold to one side very much at all. We also looked at our male. The base of his tail is wide like yours and the cloaca is located very distal on his tail, which is how yours appears. But it is difficult to tell in the photo. Here are a photo of our male and one of the female.

Male:
ADULTMALE--BELLY.jpg

Female:
ADULTFEMALE--BELLY.jpg

I hope this helps, and I hope for your sake we are wrong and it is just the photo.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Nope I'm afraid your right Tim & Robin & Family :)

It's a male :(

Danny

tortguy521

5 Year Member
are you positive?? im going to take some clear pics in a bit and put them up.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
It is hard to accept when you were told it was a female, but compare it to the photos. I would bet money it is a male. AND if Danny agrees, I think you were sold a male.

tortguy521

5 Year Member
heres a more clear pic ugh!! im so frustrated the guy at underground reptiles said it was a 100% female. and she is about 5 inches

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Here is a picture of our juvenile Pancake. She measures 4.5 inches SCL, today. I hope this helps for your comparison. Sorry, but it appears you were sold a male. Our adults are nearly 8 inches SCL, so I think you will find that his tail will only get longer and wider. Look closely at the difference in width, length, and location of the cloaca.
20091224_9970.jpg

20091224_9977.jpg

I have no idea what you paid, but I remember your want ad stating you wanted a female for $200 shipped. A cb subadult of 5 inches typically runs over $400 for a female. LTC adults will run nearly $500 or more each. Recent imported adults are available for less.

tortguy521

5 Year Member
Tim/Robin said:
Here is a picture of our juvenile Pancake. She measures 4.5 inches SCL, today. I hope this helps for your comparison. Sorry, but it appears you were sold a male. Our adults are nearly 8 inches SCL, so I think you will find that his tail will only get longer and wider. Look closely at the difference in width, length, and location of the cloaca.
20091224_9970.jpg

20091224_9977.jpg

I have no idea what you paid, but I remember your want ad stating you wanted a female for $200 shipped. A cb subadult of 5 inches typically runs over $400 for a female. LTC adults will run nearly $500 or more each. Recent imported adults are available for less.

I got mine for 275 shipped.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree with Tim's pricing on single female Pancakes, $275 shipped is to low for a single female. I have seen fresh imported pairs for $400, but never single females for $200.
If they thought that was a female, than they have all males. Dealers are notoriously bad at sexing animals. I once bought a male Redfoot from a dealer who had been in the reptile business for over 30 years. When I got it, it turned out to be a female. :p She was 13 inches SCL, more than adult size, so you would of thought they could have sexed her correctly.
Always ask for pictures first if your wanting a certain sex from a dealer. :D

Danny

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
I agree. Looks like a young male.
I'd email them to see if they will rectify the situation for you if they did indeed guarantee sex.
Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.