Female marginated not eating, now prolapsed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old4x4

10 Year Member!
Sherman (3 yrs old, 1lb 9.5 oz) has been barely eating for a couple of weeks, so I brought her to the vet (wherein she pooped, finally getting the fecal sample I've been waiting for), and just now, I noticed she was prolapsed a bit. She was able to withdraw her parts fully when I picked her up, but still hardly eating. Vet gave her a good bill of health, but hasn't called me back about the fecal analysis yet. She acts quite normal otherwise.
Any input? I've never seen this 'prolapse' before from her and it appears to be just another problem she's having recently.
I'm worried.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
lots of soaks in warm water. call the vet for results, they should know that day...
try feeding pumpkin.. extra fiber will help pass feces and the color might entice her to eat.
canned pumpkin.. Not the Pie filling type..
Are you sure its a female?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Are you positive that you have a female? How big is she (straightline carapace length)? Sounds suspiciously like a male to me! Post pics with the tail extended outward if you can.

old4x4

10 Year Member!
I posted pics of her here last year and the consesnus was that she was a female. The vet turned her over 2 weeks ago for her 1st visit and took only a few seconds to agree. Her little problem looked like a "tube" that was extended out from ber bottom and not like a penis-like structure. I'll get some pumpkin in the morning for her and will post some fresh pics of her "parts"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just so you know, a "prolapse" is when the part comes out and stays out, swelling so it can't go back in. If it comes out then goes back in there probably isn't anything to worry about.

old4x4

10 Year Member!
Emysemys, THAT"S what I like to hear! Today, Sherman ate like a horse! I guess the problem is behind her now (pun intended). Thanks for the info all.

carola

5 Year Member
3 years old is about the earliest I can tell the males from the females. The way I always sex them is to give them a good soak and the boys always show off... Im going out on a limb and agree with Gary that you have a male. Sherman is aptly named!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had what I assumed was a young male yellowfoot with a prolapse. Come to find out SHE had eaten several (read many) pebbles and a great big rock and she was blocked up. I know it was "she" because a couple months after she pooped out the rocks, she laid some eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.