Female mounting female, or is 'she' a 'he'??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
SO, I am familiar with how to sex a Russian tortoise. I have a fully-grown female, and a male, and have fostered several males. So I'm not a n00b.

However, I picked up a pair of female Russians from somebody on Tuesday. I checked, of course, and they look 100% female. Just now I heard the tell-tale squeaking of tortoises mating coming from the other room that has the quarantine enclosure... surprised, I checked, and one of the new females was mounting the other, squeaking. Do females do this as dominance behavior? Or might I have a young male on hand?

Jill.JPG

I attached a pic, they both LOOK to be females to me. Jill is just shy of 5 inches (she was the one mounting), and Mila is just shy of 6 inches. My other female is 7.5 inches, and her tail looks just like Jill and Mila's tail, short and stubby, with a pucker-shaped vent; whereas Roz's (male) tale is long, with a slit-shaped vent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they are very territorial.. one is cominating the other, and it can cause stress. can you seperate or make a very large area for them to be in with plenty of hides?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
They have been together (with their previous owner) since they were hatchlings. I can separate them into 2 quarantine rubbermaids - they will join my other 2 in a large outdoor enclosure in the Spring, but in the winter the largest tort table I have is only 6'x3' - lots of hide opportunities, but still small enough that they would be territorial, I think.

At least it's the smaller one 'dominating' the larger...

Laura said:
they are very territorial.. one is cominating the other, and it can cause stress. can you seperate or make a very large area for them to be in with plenty of hides?

Status
Not open for further replies.