Female Red Footed Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheandhim12

Hi all,
I am looking for a new home for my sweet 4-5 year old red footed tortoise. I adopted her from a coworker who wasn't looking after her and she's lived in my classroom ever since. She's gotten proper care, a good diet, lights, and enclosure, but she is getting larger every day (around a pound and half) and needs more room. She loves being in a space with lots of activity and is very active. Please let me know if you feel you have a place for her with you.
Thank you!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Where are you located , shell length, current enclosure. All helpful things to have on here. Also a picture or two would help get people interested as well. Thanks

Kevin

Sheandhim12

Hi all,
I am looking for a new home for my sweet 4-5 year old red footed tortoise. I adopted her from a coworker who wasn't looking after her and she's lived in my classroom ever since. She's gotten proper care, a good diet, lights, and enclosure, but she is getting larger every day (around a pound and half) and needs more room. She loves being in a space with lots of activity and is very active. Please let me know if you feel you have a place for her with you.
Thank you!
I am located in wisconsin. Our tortoise is the one in our profile picture - about 8 inches head to tail.

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
for faster response contact OP, by private conversation.

agility joe

I am an animal trainer and my wife is a vet. We would love to give them a great home. We have a male Russian. Who loves exploring our 3 acre property. We guarantee a great home. We would pay for the best shipping to make sure they are safe.

kaz311

5 Year Member
I live in illinois I can make the trip for the guy to take care of him I hate seeing tortoises without caretakers or alone. Im willing if its still up for adoption

TuRbOtOrD

Is she still available I have 4 redfooted tortoises and would love to add her. She will be given a 4foot by 6 foot pen to live in

turtlelikes

That's nice that you rescued her, it's horrible when someone neglects a creature that depends on them, i would love to have her we have plenty of activity here, but Wisconsin is a little too far for me too drive..and get back for work, any thoughts please share. In pennsylvania can get to Toledo Ohio!

Kate S

Hi! I'm also in Wisconsin and my class is looking for a tortoise as a class pet. We would love to adopt her, is she still availible?

Tova Appel

Wisconsin
Hi! I'm in 11th grade and my class wants to acquire a class pet, preferably a tortoise. I am in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and I was wondering if you still have the tortoise. Thank you!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hi! I'm in 11th grade and my class wants to acquire a class pet, preferably a tortoise. I am in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and I was wondering if you still have the tortoise. Thank you!
Tortoises don't necessarily make good classroom pets. Unless of course there is enough room in the classroom to give the tortoise a proper sized enclosure. They can get stressed by people staring at them all day and lots of noise. So give it some serious thought and research before you get a tortoise for the classroom.

Tova Appel

Wisconsin
Tortoises don't necessarily make good classroom pets. Unless of course there is enough room in the classroom to give the tortoise a proper sized enclosure. They can get stressed by people staring at them all day and lots of noise. So give it some serious thought and research before you get a tortoise for the classroom.
I was told by a pet-shop owner that tortoises are good options for classroom pets. We did a lot of research, and figured out everything necessary to do to care for the tortoise. Thank you for your concern though...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I was told by a pet-shop owner that tortoises are good options for classroom pets. We did a lot of research, and figured out everything necessary to do to care for the tortoise. Thank you for your concern though...
I'm sorry to be so contrary, but pet shop owners usually don't know what they're talking about unfortunately. They give very poor advice. Many many new tortoise owners find this out the hard way, I had done a ton of research before I got my tortoise and I still purchased wrong items and did not have my tortoise set up completely correctly at first. Ignore what the pet shop say and research on this forum. There is a lot of contradicting information out there if you look on the web but I guarantee you this is the best, most updated information. A classroom tortoise can work out, but it takes much more space, money, and time than people realize.

Tova Appel

Wisconsin
I'm sorry to be so contrary, but pet shop owners usually don't know what they're talking about unfortunately. They give very poor advice. Many many new tortoise owners find this out the hard way, I had done a ton of research before I got my tortoise and I still purchased wrong items and did not have my tortoise set up completely correctly at first. Ignore what the pet shop say and research on this forum. There is a lot of contradicting information out there if you look on the web but I guarantee you this is the best, most updated information. A classroom tortoise can work out, but it takes much more space, money, and time than people realize.
Normally I would believe that the pet shop owners do not know best, but in this case, the guy owns a pet shop that is organized as a zoo. It is not only for selling animals, they are very knowledgeable, and not only in it for the money.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Normally I would believe that the pet shop owners do not know best, but in this case, the guy owns a pet shop that is organized as a zoo. It is not only for selling animals, they are very knowledgeable, and not only in it for the money.
Okay. But I would still do a great deal of research on this site.

Randi

Canada
I wouldn't have a tortoise as a classroom pet. It'd be very stressful. The amount of chaos going on in a school.. and being observed all day long. These animals require a lot of space. A lot of food and a varied diet. High humidity. Daily soaks. And most importantly, peace and quiet. Are you going to take time to grow their food? What happens as they grow and need more space?

There are pets that would be better suited based on their requirements. Fish, frogs, hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, snakes, bearded dragons, leopard geckos, etc.. So many choices. I think living in a school would be unfair for this animal. I would compare it to putting a dog, like the size of a Saint Bernard in a closet and expecting it to be happy. I'm sorry to have to say that because it's not what you wanted to hear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.