female star tortoise home setup

charan

hi everyone
i want to setup home for my female tortoise so pls tell me the setup means wooden or fish type home and i kept in inside the home but i take out for 30min in direct sunlight in a day she eat only beans only bens any suggestion pls rply as soon in her house what kind of florring in that house means dust or plain and any light any any water space

charan

hi everyone
i want to setup home for my female tortoise so pls tell me the setup means wooden or fish type home and i kept in inside the home but i take out for 30min in direct sunlight in a day she eat only beans only bens any suggestion pls rply as soon in her house what kind of florring in that house means dust or plain and any light any any water space

yillt

hi everyone
Firstly, welcome to TFO.
Your tortoise will do fine in a vivarium, tank or table as long as there is some sort of cover to hold in humidity. Depending on her age, it needs to have enough room for her so it would be good if you could tell us her age and attach some photos of her and her current enclosure. If possible, you could build an outdoor enclosure. You don't want 'dust' substrate. Most people use coco coir which is a good substrate as it holds humidity and is similar in texture to soil. You want light, uvb and heat. This can be provided by an arcadia heat/uvb lamp which you can get for as cheap as £30 and they last for a while
You WILL need water. A terracotta bowl sunken into the substrate will do. Just refresh it every couple of days or whenever it gets dirty. Beans is not a sufficient diet. Go onto the care sheets and there are many diet lists. If your tortoise won't eat the food, you have to 'wean' her onto them by slowly replacing beans with the food. Feel free to ask any more questions. Best of luck :)coco coir: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...ch&q=coco+coir+substare&imgrc=WW6BfW8ZfanLoM: heat/uvb lamp:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a...AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=hgVb-1B228RXTM:

Last edited:

charan

Firstly, welcome to TFO.
Your tortoise will do fine in a vivarium, tank or table as long as there is some sort of cover to hold in humidity. Depending on her age, it needs to have enough room for her so it would be good if you could tell us her age and attach some photos of her and her current enclosure. If possible, you could build an outdoor enclosure. You don't want 'dust' substrate. Most people use coco coir which is a good substrate as it holds humidity and is similar in texture to soil. You want light, uvb and heat. This can be provided by an arcadia heat/uvb lamp which you can get for as cheap as £30 and they last for a while
You WILL need water. A terracotta bowl sunken into the substrate will do. Just refresh it every couple of days or whenever it gets dirty. Beans is not a sufficient diet. Go onto the care sheets and there are many diet lists. If your tortoise won't eat the food, you have to 'wean' her onto them by slowly replacing beans with the food. Feel free to ask any more questions. Best of luck :)coco coir: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=coco+coir&client=ms-android-orange-gb&source=lnms&prmd=sivn&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipp7yosOLRAhXFChoKHTwCCygQ_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=512#tbm=isch&q=coco+coir+substare&imgrc=WW6BfW8ZfanLoM: heat/uvb lamp:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=arcadia+uvb+heat+lamp&client=ms-android-orange-gb&source=lnms&prmd=sivn&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDvd3XsOLRAhXG1hoKHcAQAWMQ_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=hgVb-1B228RXTM:
thanks for your sugestion
live inside the house not possible to move outside but half hours direct sunlight to him daily an another food i give she while reject him smell them and move on

Attachments

• ferry2.jpg
    ferry2.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 59
  • fery1.jpg
    fery1.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 58

yillt

thanks for your sugestion
live inside the house not possible to move outside but half hours direct sunlight to him daily an another food i give she while reject him smell them and move on
Is it possible to see a picture of the enclosure? Do you use tiles as the flooring? That isn't good as they don't hold humidity and don't allow for burrowing. She is very cute but I'm a bit worried by the puffiness around her eyes. Tortoises are built to survive. Stop feeding her beans and should eat the other food when she gets hungry. She is starting to pyramid, but it's not to bad and can be corrected as long as you spray the substrate daily. When she goes outdoors for half an hour for you put her in an enclosure? If so, she can stay in the enclosure all day when it is warm enough. (Whereabouts do you live?)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Charan:

Is this the same tortoise that you showed us a picture of back in November? If so, this is a MALE star tortoise.

The tortoise really should be outside, but if that's not possible, then get the largest container you possible can find or fit into your house. Something like this:

TUB2417-8_WT.jpg

Just remember, they need quite a bit of room to walk around. Walking and exercise help them poop.

Then put about 5 or 6 inches of substrate in the bottom:

orchidbark.jpg

or:

maxresdefault.jpg

then you'll need a hiding place:

IMG00112-20110501-1548.jpg

and a feeding tile and water container:

Feeding_time.JPG

71nhVeJHQAL._SL1500_.jpg

You need to provide the tortoise with UVB either from the sun or from a GOOD UVB light. You can use one or the other of these (you don't need both):
mercury vapor bulb.jpg UVB light.jpg

Take a look through this thread. There are many members from India who post on this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/calling-on-indian-star-owners-residing-in-india.68875/

charan

Hi Charan:

Is this the same tortoise that you showed us a picture of back in November? If so, this is a MALE star tortoise.

The tortoise really should be outside, but if that's not possible, then get the largest container you possible can find or fit into your house. Something like this:

TUB2417-8_WT.jpg

Just remember, they need quite a bit of room to walk around. Walking and exercise help them poop.

Then put about 5 or 6 inches of substrate in the bottom:

orchidbark.jpg

or:

maxresdefault.jpg

then you'll need a hiding place:

IMG00112-20110501-1548.jpg

and a feeding tile and water container:

Feeding_time.JPG

71nhVeJHQAL._SL1500_.jpg

You need to provide the tortoise with UVB either from the sun or from a GOOD UVB light. You can use one or the other of these (you don't need both):
View attachment 198146 View attachment 198147

Take a look through this thread. There are many members from India who post on this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/calling-on-indian-star-owners-residing-in-india.68875/
hi this is another one

i have 3 star tortoise so it possible to arrange orchid bark so make a glass frame like fish tank lenght is 10ft it is good now for floring orchid bark is good and i arranged water container and food tile also and hidden place and uvb light also just tell me 1 thing is my tortoise output some waste on orchid bark so how i clean orchid bark i am new in this think and after how much time or gap i clean orchid bark and how

and some time she out some thing white and white water also

and thank for your rply

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
hi this is another one

i have 3 star tortoise so it possible to arrange orchid bark so make a glass frame like fish tank lenght is 10ft it is good now for floring orchid bark is good and i arranged water container and food tile also and hidden place and uvb light also just tell me 1 thing is my tortoise output some waste on orchid bark so how i clean orchid bark i am new in this think and after how much time or gap i clean orchid bark and how

and some time she out some thing white and white water also

and thank for your rply
I also use orchard bark for substrate and really like it. I soak my tortoises daily and they do most of their waste in the water while soaking, so there is not much in the enclosure to clean up. When they do go in the enclosure, I simply pick it up from that spot. No need to change out all of the bark.

The white is completely normal. It is urates - a solid (pasty) form of their "Pee" - liquid waste. When they are kept where we bathe them frequently and allow plenty of access to water, they will pee more liquid and some white will come with that. In the wild, when there is limited water, they conserve water for their body and will only excrete the white, more solid urates.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
That looks like a prison. I would add coco coir and some plants. You need a source of water for it as well at all times. Imagine trying to create a natural environment for it like the in the wild. Give it some plants to feel safe so it can hide.

You put it under sunlight? Like directly outside or by a window? UV radiation doesn't pass through glass.

A box like that offers no humidity. You need some moist substrate.