Female still outside laying eggs, almost dark. How can i move her inside so shes safe and its warm for her eggs

Mylily1

Location (City and/or State)
Bend, OR
My female is still outside by a tree laying her eggs. It's almost dark, what can I do to make sure she's safe? It says not to move her, but I can't leave her outside

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi! What species of tortoise is she?

I'm curious why she can't stay outside. Weather, predators? Does she have a box, shelter, bush to sleep in?

I think if I was in your position, I'd go out and check on her progress every 15-20 min with a flashlight. When she's done laying, she will cover the eggs with dirt or leaf litter. Then you can pick her up and bring her in.

Mylily1

Bend, OR
Hi! What species of tortoise is she?

I'm curious why she can't stay outside. Weather, predators? Does she have a box, shelter, bush to sleep in?

I think if I was in your position, I'd go out and check on her progress every 15-20 min with a flashlight. When she's done laying, she will cover the eggs with dirt or leaf litter. Then you can pick her up and bring her in.
She's backed up against a tree with leaves around down in a hole she dug. I don't want her to walk away and I can't find her. Otherwise she's safe. Thank you so much I'll check her her every 15 to 20 min.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't want her to walk away and I can't find her. Otherwise she's safe.
Is she not in an enclosure?

Its important that you don't disturb her. If you do, she could become egg bound and die.

Most of my species are winter layers and they always start a nest on a cold evening and into the night. I hang a 250 watt CHE with a large dome over them, carefully, to keep them warm until they are done laying. If they are near a tree or structure, I hand the lamp from that. If they are out in the open, I hang it from a ladder that I carefully place over them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When I had female leopards, I did what Tom said. Find a way to keep them warm and don't move them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a rusty, old wire type lawn chair. I position the chair over the tortoise then place a red chicken brooder light on the chair, shining down onto the tortoise, but not so close as to burn her. The nesting site is always far enough away from electricity that I have to use an extension cord.

nesting.jpg