Female trying to mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raynjone

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
My female (Sasha-6") has been trying to mount my male (Theo-4.75") for the past couple months. Theo has shown no interest and is not aggressive at all. Sasha is constantly finding him in his hide and tries to ram him out. A couple weeks ago, I caught her digging a test nest and noticed that for the next week or so, she was pacing, climbing, smelling things, tapping her nose on the walls, etc. She was showing all the signs of being gravid, but now, she has calmed down and is just constantly trying to mount Theo when she sees him. No eggs have been found. We have had Theo one year, and Sasha about 8 months. I'm not sure how old they are. Is this normal for a female? Should I separate them? Is Theo mature if he is under 5"?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I would separate them and see what happens. It sounds like she is gravid and is trying to dominate him. Russians are quite territorial, especially when the hormones start raging. If your male is not being aggressive at all it either isn't mature yet ( you WILL notice a difference) or it is with a real bully of a female that he is overly familiar with. Some that are kept together year round for years will not want to mate. A separation of a few weeks sets things right when they are placed together again.

Raynjone

5 Year Member
Washington
She has calmed down a lot now, but never did find any eggs. I caught her digging with her back legs again this past week, though, but she isn't pacing or climbing anymore. If I do separate them, would you suggest taking her out and leaving him in the original enclosure and then putting her back in after a few weeks, or vise versa? Thanks!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Who you separate into what enclosure doesnt matter. Hers will need to have an area she can dig so make that the determining factor for you. Its unlikely they will co-habitate peacefully anymore, ever. If you want them in the same enclosure i suggest an extremely large one where they can separate from ome another.

Status
Not open for further replies.