Fence height/design for Radiated and Burmese Star Tortoises

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsboro, NC
Designing the landscaping at my new house, looking at options for barrier fencing for the tortoises (Burmese Star, and hopefully Radiated).

I'm wanting to go with something I can step over easily, and something long lasting, and cost effective due to the amount of fencing I will need(wood prices, phew).

The stars are curious and prolific climbers.

I am in no rush, I've got at least a couple years before I would consider putting them uncovered outdoors for any period of time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It should be solid - no see through. It should be tall enough that they can't reach the top if they stand on their back legs. To discourage climbing, a cap (horizontal board) should be across the top all the way around.

Most of my tortoise fencing is corral boards. Those are 1x6x16 pine boards, and I use 4 for the sulcata and 3 for the other species. Here's what my sulcata yard looks like:

Dudley's yard 3-15-20.jpg

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Thank you, I was thinking about an angled topper leaning in at 45 degrees, thoughts on that? I've never done such a short fence before so I'm a tad concerned on it

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Look at this thread I did on building an enclosure for Burmese Stars. It has been in use for over 4 years now and there is little I would change if doing another. I would make it a bit taller. I used a 1x12 for the inside wall. So 11-1/2" tall. Over time and lots of plant/grass growth, there was areas that became more like 9". I've had a large female get out twice, so re-dug the area next to the "fence" back to original depth and had no more problems. My outer yard is completely escape proof, so no real issue there, but to keep the tortoises from escapes, I would now go with perhaps 2 1x8s for the inner wall height of 15". I would also recommend a bigger enclosure than what I had room for as well for a group of 7 or more.