Fermented food for chickens

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hey if it works and you have healthy birds that's what counts . Can you use it in cold weather ? I built a pvc pipe free feeder and waters for my birds and water was my enemy.

waretrop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Pa. Zone 5
1031140811.jpg

1031140811a.jpg

I have 55 gallon bins for water and for food. Lids on both the yellow food bin holds 350 pounds of pellets, No waste there. The water of course is 55 a gallon blue barrel and I keep a pond heater in it in the winter so it doesn't freeze. I have to fill the food about every 7 days and the water about one extra time in the week. It all works great and saves on allot of work.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can feed it in winter. Supposedly they eat it before it freezes. And people do this on a small or very large scale. They supposedly drink much less water also, kind of like the same thing with dogs and raw food. They get a lot of voice you're in the food.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
All cool stuff . You learn something new everyday .

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
View attachment 155738

View attachment 155739

I have 55 gallon bins for water and for food. Lids on both the yellow food bin holds 350 pounds of pellets, No waste there. The water of course is 55 a gallon blue barrel and I keep a pond heater in it in the winter so it doesn't freeze. I have to fill the food about every 7 days and the water about one extra time in the week. It all works great and saves on allot of work.
That's a lot of chickens, those barrels look like they work pretty well.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
My chickens eat 50 pounds of pellets a day. I can't imagine making anything in a volume for them everyday to substituted all that food. I would become a slave to the making and delivering it. But I am going to look into it farther.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My chickens eat 50 pounds of pellets a day. I can't imagine making anything in a volume for them everyday to substituted all that food. I would become a slave to the making and delivering it. But I am going to look into it farther.
They would probably eat a lot less of it. And after the initial three day period to get it fermented it's not a big deal. But yes you would have to scoop it out every day.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
I really don't think that 50 pounds of pellets is allot for 250 chickens. They also get all my extra foods from my house and probably 2 two foot long boxes of day old bread every day. I am not interested in getting them to eat less. I may try this if it is more nutritional for them or keeps hem warm. I hope it wouldn't be intoxicating for I don't want them to forget what their job is... LOL