Fertilizer on lawn

kjr153

5 Year Member
We are out of town and staying with family. She said her lawn was sprayed with fertilizer a week and a half ago. It has rained a lot since then. Is it ok to put the tort out in the lawn for a bit? It is so pretty outside I hate for him to not be able to go out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Not worth the risk. Many lawns treatments are a "weed n feed" and designed to last a while.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
The best yard treatments are designed to be water soluble chemicals that then enter into the soil to be taken in by the roots of the plant. Regardless if the treatment was a weed killing treatment or a feeding treatment or combination of the two, you don't want to expose your tortoise to any of those potentials.
When treating my tortoise yards for calcium I use this to my advantage. I use organic limestone flour which washes off the blades of grass into the soil to be taken in by the roots to boost the calcium of the grass itself.
I'm in Oregon, (pronounced or-e-gun, not or-i-gawn, sorry had to) in the western half of the state. We get lots of rain here which tends to wash lots of minerals out of the soil. Eastern Oregon gets little rain. When we had horses, we spent the extra money to buy eastern Oregon pasture hay to feed because it has a higher mineral content.
Probably more of an answer than you needed, just wanted to explain the logic when we say, “not worth the risk!"

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I would pass on the grass . And help the family telling them how much better compost tea is for the lawn and the environment . And helps keep the earth great for our kids future . Have a great tort day