Fertilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay, FL
Went to the local nursery for some plants, and explained why I needed organic soil. He was wondering and so am I now...what should I use to fertilize the plants? He was asking how I expect them to grow if I don't use fertilizer?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I used Miracle Grow soil mixed with peat moss in my Christmas tree bin when I planted it two summer's ago for Pio. The plants grew like crazy, and I never had a problem with him getting sick from eating them. I also put a layer of it in my outdoor pen before I planted. For years, before I had a computer, I always fed the plants in my outdoor boxie pen, but now everything is different, and it's so easy to get good information. But, don't go my me...do your own thing. In my inside viv. I use plain top soil mixed with pet moss, and the plants grow fine. I never feed them.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
You can use organic fertilizers like bloodmeal and bone meal. Fish emulsion can be used, but it smells pretty bad. (My cats love to roll in it afterwards! Yuck!) Worm castings are also an option. Most organic fertilizers are safe, but I still check the ingredients carefully and mix well into the soil, then water, water, water, to make sure it's disolving well. On a side note - training bonsai trees is also one of my hobbies - and my teacher uses ammonium sulfate. It's very cheap to use and if dug in around the plants and well watered - it will pose no problems to your pets. (This is what my teacher says - I haven't tried it.)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Sorry for being OT, but I just have to ask.....you have Bonsai???? I went to school many years ago, and I have some myself. I would love to see pictures....you could start another thread.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Plants grow all over the planet with out man-made fertilizers. Just plant them in the plain dirt and I'll bet they do fine.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
terryo said:
Sorry for being OT, but I just have to ask.....you have Bonsai???? I went to school many years ago, and I have some myself. I would love to see pictures....you could start another thread.

Yes, I also do bonsai. I can post some pictures - but where would I start the thread?

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Of course you can grow plants without fertilizers! I think he was trying to sell you more product...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
kimber_lee_314 said:
terryo said:

Yes, I also do bonsai. I can post some pictures - but where would I start the thread?

Go to the off topic section and you can post it there.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yes, of course plants grow all over the planet without fertilizer. I feed all of my fruit trees composted rat/mouse/tortoise/snake manure and they show it! But trees in nature usually have all kinds of matter composting above/around them that takes care of their needs. Tortoises in the wild take care of their own needs and usually take 30 to 50% more time to reach maturity than they do in captivity. Is that a good or bad thing? Bonsai is a fantastic art, but an unnatural modification of a plant. Is that also bad? Kinda like pyramiding? Just a thought from someone that has dedicated their life to not only plants but also animals. Best to all Douglas

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Destiny- most plants do not need fertilizer if you have decent soil. If you grow 'nutrient stealing' plants, like grass, over and over in the same soil, it is a good idea to enrich it, though. Any fertilizer safe for vegetables should be OK, although I do prefer good old-fashioned stuff myself.

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
Thanks to everyone!! He was pretty pushy about plants not growing without fertilizer, but maybe he is just closeminded?? So where do I get all of these natural compost? I have my own tortoise poo and dog poo. May be a stupid question but could I make my own?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It takes a while to get one going, but making your own compost can be pretty rewarding. It can be as simple as a pile in an out-of-the-way place in your yard, or an actual structure. In the past, I have taken a length of 4' wide chicken wire and bent it into a circle about 4' diameter. Tie it together. Then put in a layer of leaves, a layer of potting soil, another layer of leaves, then just start adding things as you dispose of them...kitchen garbage (but not meat products) like egg shells, coffee ground, orange peels, etc. You will need to keep it moist and aerated. I used a pitchfork to turn the pile every so often. You get worms out of the pile too...an added bonus!

http://www.groovygreen.com/groove/?p=1232

Status
Not open for further replies.