Few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well I think I'm going to work on my indoor enclosure for my RT's because the weather in pittsburgh has been TERRIBLE. How big should it be? I could do about 6 x 2 with two levels or more in the spot I want it(I know I need to make sure they can't fall). Also could the front of my new enclosure be plexiglass or should it be all wood and should I stain the wood? I have 2 RT's right now, I was told it would be okay to go with 2 more since I am going to make a large enclosure outside, but for the cold seasons could I keep all 4 in one enclosure or would they need to be seperated? Lastly for quaranteen would a large rubbermaid do or would I need something larger?

Thanks!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
James I don't have Russians, however I have quarenteened my Greek in a rubbermaid tote-extra large. With time outside in the front yard with a close watch by me. I was told to figure 4ft X 4ft or 16 sq feet for each Greek they are about the same size as a Russian. I have 2 in an 8ftx8ft enclosure which is the smallest I would put them in. I know the math dosen't make sense but in watching them it seems for 2 you need a little more room.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
James I don't have Russians, however I have quarenteened my Greek in a rubbermaid tote-extra large. With time outside in the front yard with a close watch by me. I was told to figure 4ft X 4ft or 16 sq feet for each Greek they are about the same size as a Russian. I have 2 in an 8ftx8ft enclosure which is the smallest I would put them in. I know the math dosen't make sense but in watching them it seems for 2 you need a little more room.

That is a lot, I was told a 12x12 outside enclosure would be fine for 3-4 RT's. Now I am confused lol.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have 2 tort tables and on both of them I used plexiglass on most of the front. It does not go all the way to the floor nor does it go to both corners. The plywood is just taller than they are from the floor up so if they want to see out they have to work at it. I think its pretty nice sitting on the couch and being able to look over and see whats going on. The RT's don't seem to mind the plexiglass at all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jamest0o0 said:
[
That is a lot, I was told a 12x12 outside enclosure would be fine for 3-4 RT's. Now I am confused lol.

You're saying 12 foot x 12 foot? That should be big enough for 3 or four Russians. Of course, the bigger the better, but that seems big enough to me for 4 small tortoises.

Yvonne

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
You're always best to go rectangle as opposed to square.. so they can "jog" when they feel like it. Plus they don't seem to feel 'crowded' in a rectangle table/enclosure. Make sense?

nerd

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I agree a 12x12 would be fine for 3 or 4 Russians. However Terry is sooo right rectangle is better. I have the 8ftx8ft and I just finished my 13ftx7ft enclosure yesterday, Yeah. I would not build a square pen again. Plus a rectangle is easier to get too and it's a lot easier to set up site barriers in a rectangular pen. I saw my DT run-“sprint” for the first time this past week. They are in a large rectangular pen. I don’t know what he would have done if it had been square. I had never seen this running behavior before as if someone was chasing him. Yep I’d go with anything but square.
I think setting up a pen by sq ft rather than in a sq is much better. So a 12x12ft pen would be 144 sq feet. So any configuration would be fine if the sq footage is the same.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No, I didn't mean 12x12 for an indoor enclosure, that was going to be my outdoor one. For a winter indoor enclosure how big would it have to be for 3-4 tortoises? Thanks for all the help!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
More than likely your original size of 6 by 2 would work, but don't go smaller. Your going to have them outside during the warmer months, so this is only for winter time. Plus your talking about working on a two floored one, which does give a bit more space on the upper level.

You might find the 2' wide is a bit narrow and makes things a little harder to all fit in. If possible, I would go 3' if at all possible.

The plexi front would work, just a word of caution, some animals are stressed if they can look out. If that would happen with yours, be prepared that you may have to cover it with something visually solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.