Fez the Moroccan Greek

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Had a lovely family drop off their tortoise last night. The family lived in morocco back in the late 80s early 90s. So they bought fez(tortoise) at market as a baby in 1990. They then moved to Saudi Arabia in 1994 then back to the states. Well they decided they needed to move on as the owners are super busy. The damage was from a dog that got ahold of fez years back. Pretty awesome getting such a rare relinquishment, have all the documented papers from his health certificates of travel from country to country. He's a super friendly tortoise. Anyways he's a cool new addition. Going to look for some females for him. All I have come up with have been sad stories of 90% of Moroccan Greeks that are imported perish because of there unique climate and care. I think I've just started a new liking for a different testudo other than Kleinmanni. Let the group building begin. I'm crazy and love it:)

Here's fez the Moroccan Greek Testudo Greaca marokkensis
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just from looking at pictures of the older greek tortoises, I get the feeling that they are very similar to the desert tortoises here in Calif.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Kelly, several came in towards the end of last year. They are good looking greeks that don't hibernate (according to some literature). If I was not on acquisition lockdown for new species I would have bought a few groups. I think Andrew at ATC had surplus males several month ago. I forgot who the primary retail source was.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hi Kelly, several came in towards the end of last year. They are good looking greeks that don't hibernate (according to some literature). If I was not on acquisition lockdown for new species I would have bought a few groups. I think Andrew at ATC had surplus males several month ago. I forgot who the primary retail source was.
Yes indeed. I've contacted all the people who brought them in. Apparently only a tiny group survived and that person is not looking to thin out any females. Hopefully more will come in. For sure they do like dry days and cool evenings. Tomas had mentioned some husbandry techniques for these guys. Texas might actually be a bit too humid. So he's going to be kept inside for now.