Field of greens

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Near Disneyland
Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing well with summer here! Our Torts and Turts are getting bigger and the pens need to also increase in size for them to be happy and thrive.

I am making new pens for all the Torts and Turts. The pens are all made from cement blocks and the tops are wood with 1/2" wire on them as we have dog, rodents, possums, raccoons and cats that like to visit our yard and we don't want those vermin to get close to our shelled kids.

The first picture is the Mep pen, it has their wooden tort box that was heated for the winter. The plastic on top holds the temperature controls and electric cords for the heating of tort box and also connects to the boxies that live in the next area.

The Chinese Box turtles, (C. flavomarginata), enclosure in progress with a cement pond. Right now the cement is curing and after that I will plant and landscape the pen better as well as make huts for the turtles to keep cool and rest in the summer and then change it for the winter hibernation.

Second picture is the Cf boxie pen, the cement pond is in progress, has a hole at center of pond that will have a plug and I'll pull the plug to drain the dirty water to the mango tree area. Going to put another coat of cement on the pond to make it smoother. I made the pond high so they will have to work harder to drag dirt into the pond. The pond has a wide rim for the boxies to sun themselves near the water.

I planted greens and grasses in a separate pen for my 2 Manouria emys phayrei, (Burmese Black Mountain Tortoise), they are having a great time chopping through the greens. I bought the seeds for the greens from tortoisesupply.com. This pen is not ready for them to live full time, just for them to eat through. I got a lot to do yet to make it their permanent home. I need to put in their water hole, insulated (and wired to be heated for winter) tort hut, pen top and more.

Third picture is the future Mep pen, right now the field of greens.

The forth and last picture is the two Meps have stop eating and are glaring at me as I take their picture. They hate to have me watch them eat. LOL!

Thank you all for your comments and help!

Attachments

• bmt pen.JPG
    bmt pen.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 36
  • boxies new home.JPG
    boxies new home.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 34
  • field of green.JPG
    field of green.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 36
  • bmt greens1.JPG
    bmt greens1.JPG