fight musk turtles plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinderegg08

5 Year Member
hi can someone please help me i have had my male and female musk turtles for 4 years now and back in march i bought a much bigger tank to give them more space. they love it. recently the female is attacking the male badly she flips him over onto his back and trys to bite his feet and head, she chases him around the tank and snaps at him when he is close enough to reach him, she also sits on top of him and nips his head so he is hidden in his shell. i have ask my pet shop where i bought the from and they think is because she has laid 2 batches of eggs in the past year and they think she is trying to gain the weight back on as she is constantly looking for food. they got on really well and have never faught since the day we got them at 8 weeks old. they also reckon she maybe low in calcium and have told me to give her pinkys which i do anyways. he is looking sad bless him and is trying to hide in the corner of the tank and she wont leave him alone not even when she has just been fed. what can i do as it will be a shame to split them up as they are a breeding pair and use to get on really well. please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello and welcome:) I dont have musk turtles but if the female is attacking an flipping the male over I think you should separate them . so one will not hurt the other:( he is probably stressed out from her

kinderegg08

5 Year Member
i have done this and kept them apart for over a week as soon as i placed her bk in the tank she was like a wipit and went straight for him

Schlomo

5 Year Member
Yep, probably need to be separated - my ex wife used to do the same thing to me. As I was reading your post, I was thinking to myself - "been there little turtle, I feel your pain".

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Schlomo said:
Yep, probably need to be separated - my ex wife used to do the same thing to me. As I was reading your post, I was thinking to myself - "been there little turtle, I feel your pain".

Too funny....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi kinderegg08:

Welcome to the Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.