Figure I should introduce myself..

BlackRoseFarm

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Been stalking some of the sulcata threads for a bit now but I figure I should post and say hello. Just picked up my first baby last night and have plans for a few more. I realize they will eventually need to be separated. I have been wanting a sulcata forever. We were able to use a store display case we had on hand that I scored early this year for an enclosed habitat for them; photos are before the basking lamp went up. It is 18in by 6ft long so I hope this will serve them well for at least a year =)

We have a little farm with goats, etc. Looking forward to learning about these critters and watching them grow and eventually moving outside to our naturally desert like terrain here in the Southern California.

encolusre.jpg 1st baby.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Research is only good if you find the right sources. Most of the sources giving sulcata advice are not so good unfortunately. From the look of your initial set up, it looks like you found some good info somewhere out there.

BlackRoseFarm

Southern California
I definitely have to agree with you there!! I tend to always check out multiple sources and compare versus going off any one article/person's opinion. Part of it is being a student and part from my experience with the goat world. I came here among many other places and your care sheet as well as me nosying through some of your other threads were my biggest inspirations. Your updated care sheet is a wonderful tool for a newbie!

Hello and welcome.

Research is only good if you find the right sources. Most of the sources giving sulcata advice are not so good unfortunately. From the look of your initial set up, it looks like you found some good info somewhere out there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I definitely have to agree with you there!! I tend to always check out multiple sources and compare versus going off any one article/person's opinion. Part of it is being a student and part from my experience with the goat world. I came here among many other places and your care sheet as well as me nosying through some of your other threads were my biggest inspirations. Your updated care sheet is a wonderful tool for a newbie!

Wow. Thanks.

I hope you stick around. I love goats and intend to start a little herd in the not too distant future. I work with them pretty regularly in my business, but its good to have more resources to draw from. Sounds like you be a good person to field my goat questions.

BlackRoseFarm

Southern California
Credit given where credit is due!! I will be following your experiment this year (and Dean's babies) and am interested to see if your babies turn out to be part Sudanese (love the high dome shell for some reason). Quick question, what do you use to mark them? Looks like nail polish

I have been doing goats for about 2 years now and am still learning but I have covered a great deal in that time. Which breed were you interested in? We have Nigerian Dwarf goats.

Wow. Thanks.

I hope you stick around. I love goats and intend to start a little herd in the not too distant future. I work with them pretty regularly in my business, but its good to have more resources to draw from. Sounds like you be a good person to field my goat questions.

Keith D.

Arizona
Credit given where credit is due!! I will be following your experiment this year (and Dean's babies) and am interested to see if your babies turn out to be part Sudanese (love the high dome shell for some reason). Quick question, what do you use to mark them? Looks like nail polish

I have been doing goats for about 2 years now and am still learning but I have covered a great deal in that time. Which breed were you interested in? We have Nigerian Dwarf goats.
Hello and welcome to TFO.
I also got sulcatas yesterday lol 3 3 week old hatchlings, I will post pics in a bit. And you know what is funny, I also haveva goat lol. She is a waddled Nubian. Guess we get to grow together on this one lol

BlackRoseFarm

Southern California
How funny!! We picked up 2 more yesterday and have 3 Sulcatas total now.

Hello and welcome to TFO.
I also got sulcatas yesterday lol 3 3 week old hatchlings, I will post pics in a bit. And you know what is funny, I also haveva goat lol. She is a waddled Nubian. Guess we get to grow together on this one lol

Keith D.

Arizona
How funny!! We picked up 2 more yesterday and have 3 Sulcatas total now.
You can house all three together if you like, its better then housing only two together, if you only had two then I would be saying to house them seperatly.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the Desert !
m0754.gif

TortoiseRebel

Hi and Welcome BlackRose, What part of SoCal you from? My brother Keith and I were born and raised in SoCal, We are from El Monte but now live in Arizona. :tort:

BlackRoseFarm

Southern California
Hi and Welcome BlackRose, What part of SoCal you from? My brother Keith and I were born and raised in SoCal, We are from El Monte but now live in Arizona. :tort:

I grew up in Oceanside, moved away for a few years to Colorado & Virginia, and now I live in Menifee with my kids and boyfriend. It is basically the desert here!!