Final thoughts and suggestions on outdoor enclosure plans

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I wanted to get some thoughts on my final outdoor enclosure plans for my 6 year old, approximately 11 pound leopard tortoise. She will have an insulated heated night box (using two heat mats on two sides of the walls) that is 2x2 feet (which still gives her room to walk a little and turn around) and she will be locked up in there at night and free to go out and in during the day when it’s sunny and the temps are above 50. (The heated night box stays above 80 and usually high 70s to low 80s when her door is open.) When it’s rainy and below 70 or cloudy and below 65ish or below 50 she will be moved to a large shed (8x8 foot) to spend the day. It is being heated with heat lamps for basking and an oil filled radiator to maintain overall heat. And then at night I’ll move her back to her heated night box because it holds heat very well and is well insulated. I live in North Carolina and most of the days are 50 degrees or above with a few days below 40 to 30. And we usually have 1-2 days a week that are rainy. Does this sound good? Am I forgetting or missing anything?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Your heat mats- what kind are they as Kane heat mats are designed to heat 37 degrees above ambient which in the 30’s couldn’t get warm enough. One heat mat on the ground and an RHP overhead would be more than enough for your winters in NC . In RVA my leopard will be in the basement for a good part of winter even with a nightbox

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Your heat mats- what kind are they as Kane heat mats are designed to heat 37 degrees above ambient which in the 30’s couldn’t get warm enough. One heat mat on the ground and an RHP overhead would be more than enough for your winters in NC . In RVA my leopard will be in the basement for a good part of winter even with a nightbox
One is Kane and the other is one that I can’t remember the name, but it was recommended on this forum, it’s hard and black, it gets hotter than the Kane mat. They are on two side walls of a square house. I have a thermostat and whenever I look at it it’s usually 80 or above in the inner corner.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
One is Kane and the other is one that I can’t remember the name, but it was recommended on this forum, it’s hard and black, it gets hotter than the Kane mat. They are on two side walls of a square house. I have a thermostat and whenever I look at it it’s usually 80 or above in the inner corner.

Possibly your other mat is a Stanfield

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need to know what you've got to be able to make good recommendations. The Kane mat should be on the ground so the tortoise can rest on it, but the box needs to be large enough for the tortoise to get off of it, yet still be inside in the warm air. They don't work well when wall mounted.

The black one sounds like a RHP. Yes?, If yes, that one needs to be mounted over head. I mount them over the heat mat to make a warm side where they can get heat from top and bottom, and them move off of the heat when needed, but still be inside the warm box.

The box needs to be warmer than high 70s in cooler weather. Should be mid to high 80s. Door you have door flaps to hold the heat in? Also, where is the thermostat's probe. It should be over away from all the heat sources. You want the coldest area of the box to be warm enough. Moving the thermostat will leave the heating elements on longer and possibly give you better temperatures. Only your thermometer can tell you for sure.

Here is a thread showing pics of all of this.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
We need to know what you've got to be able to make good recommendations. The Kane mat should be on the ground so the tortoise can rest on it, but the box needs to be large enough for the tortoise to get off of it, yet still be inside in the warm air. They don't work well when wall mounted.

The black one sounds like a RHP. Yes?, If yes, that one needs to be mounted over head. I mount them over the heat mat to make a warm side where they can get heat from top and bottom, and them move off of the heat when needed, but still be inside the warm box.

The box needs to be warmer than high 70s in cooler weather. Should be mid to high 80s. Door you have door flaps to hold the heat in? Also, where is the thermostat's probe. It should be over away from all the heat sources. You want the coldest area of the box to be warm enough. Moving the thermostat will leave the heating elements on longer and possibly give you better temperatures. Only your thermometer can tell you for sure.

Here is a thread showing pics of all of this.

I just remembered that I got it from LLLreptile. Its not big enough for her to get of it, thats why I mounted them on the sides. I'll move the thermostat to the outer corner.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Hi everyone, I wanted to get some thoughts on my final outdoor enclosure plans for my 6 year old, approximately 11 pound leopard tortoise. She will have an insulated heated night box (using two heat mats on two sides of the walls) that is 2x2 feet (which still gives her room to walk a little and turn around) and she will be locked up in there at night and free to go out and in during the day when it’s sunny and the temps are above 50. (The heated night box stays above 80 and usually high 70s to low 80s when her door is open.) When it’s rainy and below 70 or cloudy and below 65ish or below 50 she will be moved to a large shed (8x8 foot) to spend the day. It is being heated with heat lamps for basking and an oil filled radiator to maintain overall heat. And then at night I’ll move her back to her heated night box because it holds heat very well and is well insulated. I live in North Carolina and most of the days are 50 degrees or above with a few days below 40 to 30. And we usually have 1-2 days a week that are rainy. Does this sound good? Am I forgetting or missing anything?
Hey Welcome, I also live in NC, near Greensboro. I have a Russian and a Cuora Mouhotii and expect to get another one before too long. I have had lots of others in my life time. Good to have you here.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
That is a radiant heat panel. Best mounted over head, so its about 8-12 inches over the tortoise.

Do you also have a Kane mat for the bottom? The RHP alone won't be enough. They don't generate that much heat.

I have it mounted on the side and kane mat mounted on the other side.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Hey Welcome, I also live in NC, near Greensboro. I have a Russian and a Cuora Mouhotii and expect to get another one before too long. I have had lots of others in my life time. Good to have you here.

Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have it mounted on the side and kane mat mounted on the other side.
I don't think that is a good way to do it. They can get too close to the RHP when its mounted to the side, and the Kane mats don't throw heat well enough to work on the side of a box. They need to be able to lay on top of the warm Kane mat.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I don't think that is a good way to do it. They can get too close to the RHP when its mounted to the side, and the Kane mats don't throw heat well enough to work on the side of a box. They need to be able to lay on top of the warm Kane mat.
I know the RHP's can get very hot but I thought it was still safe for her shell to be up against? And the box is fairly small so the Kane mat helps with increasing overall heat. The kane mat stays on all the time and the RHP is on a thermostat and is set to come on when it falls below 81 degrees F. I would be able to probably put the RHP on the top, but since the box is too small for her to get off the heat pad, I keep the kane mat on the side.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know the RHP's can get very hot but I thought it was still safe for her shell to be up against? And the box is fairly small so the Kane mat helps with increasing overall heat. The kane mat stays on all the time and the RHP is on a thermostat and is set to come on when it falls below 81 degrees F. I would be able to probably put the RHP on the top, but since the box is too small for her to get off the heat pad, I keep the kane mat on the side.
Both should be on the same thermostat, and if the box is too small for the tortoise to get off of the mat, then the box is too small.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Both should be on the same thermostat, and if the box is too small for the tortoise to get off of the mat, then the box is too small.
I appreciate your input and help. I think a small box is fine though, as long as the heated mat isnt on the floor.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I appreciate your input and help. I think a small box is fine though, as long as the heated mat isnt on the floor.
But on the floor is the only place a Kane mat is effective as a heating source.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
But on the floor is the only place a Kane mat is effective as a heating source.
it’s been working well for me mounted on the side in maintaining accurate temps. I appreciate your help