Finally got my testudo seed mix!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I always plant it too densely. Every time I do it, I remind myself that next time I need to use less seed and spread it out a little more. I hope you are better at it than I am...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I always plant it too densely. Every time I do it, I remind myself that next time I need to use less seed and spread it out a little more. I hope you are better at it than I am...

Thanks for the warning! Now how do I plant it? Do I just sprinkle it where I want it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What I do is churn up the soil with a shovel and mix in any amendments or fertilizer as needed. Then I smooth it out with a sand rake and remove any little rocks or large chunks of anything. Next I water several times to really saturate the solid down deep. Then I cast the seed out over the area by hand and try to spread it evenly. This is where I go too far and keep casting too much. Last thing is loosely hand casting about a half inch of additive free planting soil on top of the seeds.

Then your challenge is to keep your local birds and critters from eating all your seed before it has a chance to sprout and take off. Good luck with that. Sometimes I build covers. I've tried dangling foil strips, dangling shiny CDs, little spinning pinwheel things from the dollar store, etc… Also, do NOT let the seed dry out when germinating. Easy in a humid area, but very difficult in a hot desert climate. I have to lightly water every hour all day long for the first few days. Once it gets going, I can water heavily morning and evening and it lasts for the day because the roots are deep enough.

I think that is everything. Questions?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What I do is churn up the soil with a shovel and mix in any amendments or fertilizer as needed. Then I smooth it out with a sand rake and remove any little rocks or large chunks of anything. Next I water several times to really saturate the solid down deep. Then I cast the seed out over the area by hand and try to spread it evenly. This is where I go too far and keep casting too much. Last thing is loosely hand casting about a half inch of additive free planting soil on top of the seeds.

Then your challenge is to keep your local birds and critters from eating all your seed before it has a chance to sprout and take off. Good luck with that. Sometimes I build covers. I've tried dangling foil strips, dangling shiny CDs, little spinning pinwheel things from the dollar store, etc… Also, do NOT let the seed dry out when germinating. Easy in a humid area, but very difficult in a hot desert climate. I have to lightly water every hour all day long for the first few days. Once it gets going, I can water heavily morning and evening and it lasts for the day because the roots are deep enough.

I think that is everything. Questions?

Thanks, sounds good to me! I recently changed Curtis’s substrate, so I’ll probably use his old substrate to plant it. Probably has some nice tortoise-poop fertilizer, lol