Finally...Tortoise-friendly Television!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Anyone watch the new cop-drama "Rissoti and Isle" last night? The character Isle (a medical examiner) has a nice looking house-roaming sulcatta (little or no pyramiding!), and at the end of the progran, Isle gave Rissoti (homicide detective) a baby sulcatta of her very own.

Quality TV for tort-lovers! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, except that I think Isle lives in an apartment and the sulcata roams free in the apartment. Also the baby was set up in...wait for it....the DREADED AQUARIUM!!!

I did enjoy seeing the tortoise though. He was a bit shy in front of the camera.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
Yeah, except that I think Isle lives in an apartment and the sulcata roams free in the apartment. Also the baby was set up in...wait for it....the DREADED AQUARIUM!!!

Yeah, I thought about what the legendary Bob could do to her apartment! :D

I did enjoy seeing the tortoise though. He was a bit shy in front of the camera.

My wife is now wondering if it'll be a recurring character in the series...seems the actress is a tort-owner and that might be her personal pet, according to the wife.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
maybe they don't expect the show to last, so they don't need to have long term housing for the tort?

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
my only concern is that unsuspecting people would think "how cute!" and go out and buy one for their apartment... not realizing the needs of the critter - both intake and output - - - plus various other sundry items such as heat etc. Not to mention a cat clawing carpet, or a dog shredding the paper would look light weight compared to the infamous Bob and his misdeeds. But ya know, it was a fun first episode and I do plan to watch and see what happens

to the torts! to the torts!
teri

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
sharkstar said:
my only concern is that unsuspecting people would think "how cute!" and go out and buy one for their apartment... not realizing the needs of the critter - both intake and output - - - plus various other sundry items such as heat etc. Not to mention a cat clawing carpet, or a dog shredding the paper would look light weight compared to the infamous Bob and his misdeeds. But ya know, it was a fun first episode and I do plan to watch and see what happens

to the torts! to the torts!
teri

Yeah, that's a concern...TV show making sulcatas the latest "in" pet just means a lot of sulcatas ending up in rescues in the foreseeable future, when folks dicscover that a tort that can make it to 150+ # can also remodel your house...

Kinda wish they'd chosen a Hermann's or a Box Turtle.

halfnelson

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It could clue people in as to how big Sulatas get and make them think twice before getting one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
halfnelson said:
It could clue people in as to how big Sulatas get and make them think twice before getting one.

Especially if they'd show a big pile of poop on the white carpet...or a giant puddle of urates and urine!!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
halfnelson said:

Sadly, it doesn't seem to work that way...a lot of folks see Great Danes and think "How magnificent, I MUST get a puppy"...and a lot of Danes end up out-growing their homes and being disposed of to rescues.

In addition to my personal Danes, I'm fostering seven more for a local rescue I'm friendly with (which is how I ended up with all but one of mine.)

If sulcatas become "the next IN pet", there'll be a lot more in rescues, too, and while I occ. read where someone can't find a sulcata of their own, the local tortoise rescues seems to have more than they want at any given moment...might a regional thing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.