Finally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So. Cal desert
Kono finally got thru the impaction. Dang was I happy to see that today. Its been 20 very long days. I tried to be postitive but I swear I thought he was going to die on me. His little bit of eating was the only thing that gave me hope. (I know Annieski, you told me to be patient-everything was going to be okay)

He was so relieved he adventured all over the yard and made it to his hide up in the rock. Thats no short walk for my physically challenged little friend. He has to walk around the wall, climb up over his boulders and make it all the way to the far corner. Its the most he's moved since the surgery. :) :::: happy dance ::::

Thanks everyone who sent good thoughts and advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's really good news! Doing the happy dance for Kono!!

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
What a HAPPY DAY! Patience is the most pursued virtue and the hardest one to "wait" to achieve.
At this time, I would STILL be sure to keep the diet on the "softer" side for awhile. I would offer aloe every day in the hopes of allowing the "internal" healing to continue, without set-back. Every day, from here on out, is a day "WELL DONE".

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Laura said:
so does this mean he POOPED!?
What about the Prolapse?

Yes ... day before yesterday he had 3 small poops in his Hospital box and I found 1 yesterday. So far so good on the prolapse. Tomorrow he gets his sutures out. Yesterday I did see a little "flash" and I about had a heart attack but it was just a quick little tip that came out and disappeared. Hopefully it wont be anymore than that after the sutures are out.
His poops arent flat anymore either. I think the dremeling resolved the flat poop problem. His stools were in that form since I've had him. Its the 1st time I've seen them round ... very small but at least round. When Moe goes potty one would think a pony lived in my backyard.

Annieski said:
What a HAPPY DAY! Patience is the most pursued virtue and the hardest one to "wait" to achieve.
At this time, I would STILL be sure to keep the diet on the "softer" side for awhile. I would offer aloe every day in the hopes of allowing the "internal" healing to continue, without set-back. Every day, from here on out, is a day "WELL DONE".

Good idea and I too agree. While I was at work, Hub let him wander and graze. Said he was all over the place but I'd rather he didnt graze so much and stick with less binding greens. I bought more pumpkin and am also still putting mineral oil on his food but not as much.
Tonight is his 1st night out of his hosp box. The nights are just now dropping below 70 so I set up a heat lamp in his old night-time den. He and Moe are in there .... just checked on them.
Anyhow ... I'm happy for him. His tail is curled in as it should be and hoping he doesnt prolapse again. Can some torts be prone to prolapsing ... it being a chronic problem? Hope not.
thanks much

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Yvie-- My Vet told me that what Mortimer had was a prolapsed CLOACA. As I understood her explaination, this was a bit more "involved" than if it were just the penis. If the penis stayed out and the tissue became necrotic--it could be removed without too much incident. Usually the suture[stitch] that is put in, is enough to have the tissue re-gain some "memory" and have a smaller opening-- thus , keeping the penis inside[in tortoises, the penis is not used for excretion of urine--that is why it can be safely removed if necrotic]. The cloaca, on the other hand, is like a "three-way valve" where all that needs to leave the body, goes through[urine-stool-eggs]. At one point, I thought Mortimer's intestine came out[I was glad I was there for that to help it back in place]. Once we got a handle on things-- the "treatment" was more to alter the diet[to have Higher fiber] but keep it wetter to allow "safer" passage of stool and urine. In my head, it was a little confusing, but as I told you, after 3-4 months, IT WORKED. I'm so happy that Kona is IMPROVING each day. And you should give youself a pat-on-the-back for a job well done.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Laura said:
is he more prone to 'flash' if around other torts? Should he be kept alone??

Moe wasnt anywhere near him.... wasnt even in sight at all, if that matters, when he "showed" a little tip the other day. Same with the day he prolapsed. But I think I need to read thru some old threads and look up some pictures to make sure my interpetation of "flashing" is correct. I'm still learning all the Tort body parts and terms.
Moe & Kono, for the most part go their own separate ways when wandering. Sometimes I find them together in the same daytime hide but not often and I have them together at night as they share a heated den. Anytime I check on them I dont see one or the other engaging in any way. The previous owner said that Moe had been biting on Kono for some time and the reason he decided to give him to us. Since being here there hasnt been one incident of that kind of behavior. But from what I've read, lack of space could cause that type of conflict with multiple torts and lack of space (to put it nicely) is just what they had at their old home.

Annieski said:
Yvie-- My Vet told me that what Mortimer had was a prolapsed CLOACA. The cloaca, on the other hand, is like a "three-way valve" where all that needs to leave the body, goes through[urine-stool-eggs]. At one point, I thought Mortimer's intestine came out[I was glad I was there for that to help it back in place]. Once we got a handle on things-- the "treatment" was more to alter the diet[to have Higher fiber] but keep it wetter to allow "safer" passage of stool and urine.

That must of scared the you know what out of you. Poor Mortimer, what a nightmare. I need to find some pics of the cloaca to compare with Kono's penile prolapse.
He had his vet check yesterday and he has to keep his sutures in for another month. Guess he is healing slow .... slowly but surely is okay with me. :)
I watched him this morning pass a little stool. He has a 2nd waiting to pass but its not out yet. So he isnt 100% on the bowel movements but its a start. They are about the size of little Bonnie & Clyde's stools .... hey I'm not complaining, really. (visualizing Moe's poops) :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.