Finding an Enclosure For Two Red-footed Torties.

Stephxo

Hey guys, I have two red-footed tortoises and they are both 4 years old currently they live in a vivarium. (We also live in South Wales in the UK so outside is not the warmest at the moment and probably wont be for a while now) However, I cant say that I am happy with their enclosure one bit. I want something that is more natural for them and has a lot more space. The only three problems that I am having at the moment with my enclosure is
  • It isn't humid enough, (I have yet to get a waterfall/repti fogger, but worried it will be too big)
  • I don't feel it is big enough,
  • It's not as natural as it could be.
I was wondering if anyone could give any pointers on a rough guide as to how big an appropriate enclosure would be and what type I should use. I've been doing some research and found that an open top enclosure could be used however this would make it difficult to keep on top of heat and humidity. Is there anyone that could recommend which is better between the viv and table top or whether there is something that could work better. It is possible that I could try and make one but the only problem is I'm not sure what wood can be used.

Going onto making the enclosure more natural, I'm looking at getting pebbles/smooth stones to put around their enclosure. Another thing I want to put in is some plant like features to make it more natural, where would be the best place to get fake plants and are they recommended, the only concern I have about them is if my tortoise tries to eat them because he is quite greedy and likes to eat anything he can!

I can't really think of any more questions off the top of my head, it's just their housing I'm concerned about to be honest. Thanks for taking the time to read and thanks even more for any advice or suggestions/taking to the time to reply, it really means a lot as I just want to do the right thing for my little torties.<3

P.S when I got the tortoises it was the guy in the reptile shop that told us to get a viv and suggested using beach chips which I know now was not the right bedding to use because it doesn't keep it moist which is now why I am questioning just how appropriate their cage is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just remember that RF tortoises need moist substrate, so you'll have to protect the wood some way or another - line it with plastic; paint it with a good water proof paint, etc.

I just use regular lumber in my tort tables...pine or douglas fir and exterior plywood. Then I line the inside with sheet plastic. I have to replace the plastic once a year because it degrades.

Stephxo

Just remember that RF tortoises need moist substrate, so you'll have to protect the wood some way or another - line it with plastic; paint it with a good water proof paint, etc.

I just use regular lumber in my tort tables...pine or douglas fir and exterior plywood. Then I line the inside with sheet plastic. I have to replace the plastic once a year because it degrades.

Okay thanks so much! :)