Fine coco husk vs coco coir

AztecPurse101

Location (City and/or State)
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, newbie here.

I have a baby leopard tortoise that’s 7cm and i have a question about the substrates. Is fine coco husk and coco coir the same thing? Im using crushed coco husk right now because that is what the shop gave recommended but i think the substrate is abit too dry. I always spray it with water but it seems to get very dry again. I heard coco coir is good for moisture, but was wondering if they are the same thing?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. It’s very possible that you are not soaking your crushed coco husk well enough to start off. Coco husk is pretty dry, the best thing is to take a bucket, fill it up with warm water and soak soak soak your coco husk until it is totally saturated. Maybe for a few hours, maybe a full day. Once it is fully soaked put this in your enclosure. it is now more apt to absorb additional water & stay moist from occasional sprays.

I’m pretty sure “coco husk” and “coco coir” are the same product, just marketed & packaged differently.

Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, newbie here.

I have a baby leopard tortoise that’s 7cm and i have a question about the substrates. Is fine coco husk and coco coir the same thing? Im using crushed coco husk right now because that is what the shop gave recommended but i think the substrate is abit too dry. I always spray it with water but it seems to get very dry again. I heard coco coir is good for moisture, but was wondering if they are the same thing?
Yes. They are the ame thing.

You need to dump water into the substrate to keep it damp. Spraying the surface doesn't do much, as you've already seen.

Coir is not the best substrate. Better to use fine grade orchid bark. Coir would be my second choice if you can't find orchid bark.

Suzieqc

Buffalo
Yes. They are the ame thing.

You need to dump water into the substrate to keep it damp. Spraying the surface doesn't do much, as you've already seen.

Coir is not the best substrate. Better to use fine grade orchid bark. Coir would be my second choice if you can't find orchid bark.

Tom I'm from Buffalo New York and have just built both outdoor/indoor enclosures. Outdoor is 20' x 3' L shaped dirt and rock. Indoor is 6.5' x 3' and is now ready to fill. I had planned on 50/50 sterile screened topsoil/Coir mix however I am having great difficulty locating the dirt. I see you recommend fine orchid bark... Where would I purchase such an item at a local Home Depot or a pet store?

Please and Thank you
Suzie