Fingers Crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Well I have four adult males in with my girls... two of them (Bentley and Hurley) have been "mature" but we haven't gotten ANYTHING from the girls. Now that they're outside daily (currently during the day only) I was hoping to see a change in activity from them, but not yet.

BUT one of the other boys (Roland) has FINALLY got his groove on! Maybe he'll be more successful!!!

Now of only the girls would GET WITH IT and start laying some eggs! Of course none of them hibernated this year, but I'm still holding out some hope...

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
none of mines hibernated but im also hoping for eggs! i always catch my males humpin each other and when they try with the females they dont let themselves :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jasso2 said:
none of mines hibernated but im also hoping for eggs! i always catch my males humpin each other and when they try with the females they dont let themselves :(

"humping" is a very interesting thing. I had a breeding colony of leopard tortoises - 2.4 I was having trouble selling the babies, so I adopted out one of the males and two of the females. Then my last male died (don't know why). So I have only one 30lb female and one 20lb female left. Since there is no male, the larger female has started "humping" the smaller female...EVERY DAY! I know she's female because I've seen her lay eggs. I know this behavior is for dominance, but why didn't she need to assert her dominance before all the males were gone?

Good luck on all your breeding activity! If you get eggs here's hopin' they hatch!

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just a thought, how about removing the males from the females for a short time (like maybe a week) then return them?

With mine I had a male who lived for several years with his two ladies, while everybody got into the right size range. He never made any attempt to breed. Meanwhile I got a pair in and during quarantine, the male ignored the female. Another male was sent to me and from the first day he was allowed to join the group he was always going after the ladies. With summer all of them were off quarantine and placed outside together. All three males decided females were wonderful creatures.

While working on their enclosure, I brought them all back inside for a few days. The male who had spent winter ignoring a female, was now really bumping into her, trying to get her interested. The clash could be heard across the room.

It's been interesting to see the changes in behavior and how sometimes it seems like a male only has eyes for one certain female in the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.